Orange and clove pomanders have been made from the 15'th century. These pomanders make wonderful room fresheners. They also act as a natural moth repellent. I wanted to try this orange and clove pomander for a long time and finally I tried it last week. The citrus smell from the oranges, when it's punctured with cloves is incredible. These pomanders are fun to make with children and the citrus smell from these oranges also uplift the mood. The more the amount of cloves you use for the pomander, the longer they keep well. To make this pomander, take the required amount of cloves and sprinkle them with essential oil of your choice. Orange, clove and pure vanilla will go well with this orange pomander. If you don't have any essential oil at home, you can skip this step. Pierce the orange with a tooth pick. Get creative and make your own patterns. Stud the cloves into the pierced holes. Make sure to insert the cloves well into the hole. Take a knitting needle and insert it in the center of the pomander till it comes out on the other end. Remove the needle and insert a thick cord through the hole and tie a knot on the other end. Hang this pomander in an airy place and enjoy refreshing, natural scent year round!
1. Take the required amount of cloves. Add the essential oil to the cloves and mix them well.
2. Take an orange and wipe it dry. Make holes on the orange. Get creative with the design and try making as many holes as possible.
3. Insert the cloves firmly into the hole. Make sure the bottom part of the cloves are fully inserted into the orange. Leave the the top and bottom part of the orange for inserting the wire.
4. Take a large knitting needle and insert into the top part of the orange and bring it out on the other end and remove it.
5. Now take a firm wire and insert it into the hole created by the knitting needle. Tie a knot on one end to secure the wire. Hang it wherever you like and enjoy fresh citrus fragrance.
I just did a single layer with the cloves, if you want the pomander to stay well for a long time, use as much cloves as possible. The cloves keep the orange fresh for a long time.
This orange and clove pomander stays well for months.
The essential oil is optional, if you don't have it, just skip that step.