How to Make Bhringraj | Karisalankanni Hair Oil Recipe For Hair Growth
This homemade bhringraj oil | karisalankanni hair oil is very famous in my place and does wonders for hair. We always used to have bhringraj plants in the farm but since there was no proper rains this year, all the plants died. When Aparna, who is a regular reader of this blog, asked me to post about bhringraj, I was looking out for this plant everywhere. Yesterday, when I went to visit my maternal grandmother, I saw bhringraj plants in the farm there, I collected them and made the oil yesterday. There are two varieties of bhringraj plants, one with white flowers and the other with yellow flowers. Both can be used to make this oil, I made the oil with white flowers. This bhringraj oil has amazing hair benefits. It prevents hair fall, premature greying, strengthens the hair roots, conditions the hair well, prevents split ends, stimulates hair growth - in short everything that is needed for a healthy hair. Nowadays bhringraj oil is marketed everywhere, but you can make your own pure bhringraj oil at home very easily. I prefer to use homemade coconut oil that is not refined for making this oil and I would strongly suggest that you do the same for best results. You can identify this plant easily with it's flowers and it is also used extensively in home remedies. This oil can be made in two ways, the first method is made by grinding the bhringraj leaves without water and making it into small rounds and then sun drying it till crisp. Then the rounds are added to coconut oil in a glass jar and placed in hot sunlight till the color of the oil changes. This method takes around 3 to 4 days for the rounds to dry and for the coconut oil to get heated up. This method is best done during hot summer months. I did the second method, which is made by directly heating the paste in coconut oil. This oil has a beautiful green color and a unique pleasant smell. When I made this oil, the whole house was smelling of this oil. To use this oil, massage it well into the scalp before having your hair wash regularly and let it soak for at least 30 minutes. This oil stores well for up to 3 months at room temperature.
1. These are bhringraj leaves, you can identify them with the yellow and white colored flowers.
2. Separate the leaves and immerse it in water, the sand and dust will settle down. Repeat the process to get rid of the dirt completely and pat dry using a clean kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
3. Grind the leaves in a mixer to a coarse paste without adding any water.
4. Heat virgin coconut oil in a low flame along with the paste. It will start sizzling immediately.
5. Heat the mixture in a low flame till the sizzling sound stops completely and switch off.
6. Let the oil cool, strain and store it in a glass bottle.
Wait for the sizzling sound to stop completely before switching off.
Use fresh leaves for best results.
Make sure not to burn the bhringraj leaves.
Store it only in glass bottles.
Try this oil using direct sunlight method, during hot summer months.