Barley water has amazing health benefits. I remember my maternal grandfather drinking barley water daily and once when I asked him why he drank it, he smiled and replied that it kept him healthy. It was a ritual that he religiously followed, now he is no more, but writing this post brings back fond memories of him.
Barley water has amazing health benefits and can be easily prepared at home. I am still amazed at how simple home remedies can save us from lot of pain, if had correctly and barley water is one such example, especially for treating urinary tract infection.
Barley Water Health Benefits:
1. Barley Water For Uti:
2. Barley Water For Weight Loss:
3. Barley Water For Kidney Stones:
4. Barley Water For Skin:
5. Barley Water For Detox:
How To Make Barley Water At Home?
1. Wash barley in water 2 to 3 times and soak it in water for 1 to 2 hours. This helps barley cook faster.
2. Strain again, add water and let it boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add a piece of fresh ginger to it during last 5 minutes. Don’t pound the ginger, adding ginger like this gives a mild ginger flavor which gives a nice taste to barley water. It also aids in digestion.
4. Once the barley is cooked, strain the water and add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Barley water tastes best when it is fresh, but it can stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Make sure to boil till barley is cooked well.
- As far as I know, this barley water is one of the best home remedy for urinary tract infection.
- After adding lemon juice, if you prefer you can sweeten lightly with good quality honey.
- This barley water can be used as a home remedy for treating uti in pregnant women too.
- Boil it in low flame, else it will spill over.
- Don’t add too much of lemon juice, it won’t taste nice.
- The left over cooked barley can be used in stews, salads or just make a simple stir fry with it by frying onions, g,chillies, garlic, steamed veggies, barley in little oil. Finely add salt, lots of coriander leaves and few drops of lemon juice to it.