I remember my maternal grandfather drinking barley water daily and once when I asked him why he drank it, he smiled and replied that it kept him healthy. It was a ritual that he religiously followed, now he is no more, but writing this post brings back fond memories of him. Barley water has amazing health benefits and can be easily prepared at home. I am still amazed at how simple home remedies can save us from lot of pain, if had correctly and barley water is one such example, especially for treating urinary tract infection. 1. Barley water for uti: Barley water is the best home remedy for treating urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infection affects both adults and children nowadays and the best home remedy for it is to make barley water and drink it through the day. Even pregnant women can drink barley water, if they suffer from urinary tract infection. Instead of taking antibiotics for uti, try to drink barley water often throughout the day, to get rid of uti. 2. Barley water for weight loss: This simple barley water can be used in weight loss diet. A research on barley water has proven that it can be very beneficial in lowering cholesterol and it also keep us satiated for a long time, making it perfect for including it in weight loss plan. Instead of drinking diet colas, try including barley water. 3. Barley Water for Kidney Stones: Regular consumption of barley water is the best home remedy for treating kidney stones and for preventing kidney stones from forming. Barley is rich in magnesium, which prevents kidney stones and flushes out toxins. Especially the lemon barley water is highly recommended for people with kidney stones. 4. For Skin: Drinking barley water often and applying it topically on the acne affected area reduces the inflammation and has a soothing effect. Try to make a thicker concentrate, if you are applying on the skin. 5. For Detox: If there is a natural drink that is a wonderful body cleanser, it is barley water. It flushes out the toxins very effectively, especially drinking lemon barley water increases immunity. To make the barley water, wash the barley in water and soak it in water for at least an hour. Add water to it and start boiling till the barley is cooked. I like to add a slice of ginger, while boiling. Switch off, strain and if desired chill, add a few drops of lemon juice and your homemade barley water is ready!
1. Wash barley in water 2 to 3 times and soak it in water for 1 to 2 hours. This helps barley cook faster.
2. Strain again, add water and let it boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add a piece of fresh ginger to it during last 5 minutes. Don’t pound the ginger, adding ginger like this gives a mild ginger flavor which gives a nice taste to barley water. It also aids in digestion.
4. Once the barley is cooked, strain the water and add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Barley water tastes best when it is fresh, but it can stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Make sure to boil till barley is cooked well.
- As far as I know, this barley water is one of the best home remedy for urinary tract infection.
- After adding lemon juice, if you prefer you can sweeten lightly with good quality honey.
- This barley water can be used as a home remedy for treating uti in pregnant women too.
- Boil it in low flame, else it will spill over.
- Don’t add too much of lemon juice, it won’t taste nice.
- The left over cooked barley can be used in stews, salads or just make a simple stir fry with it by frying onions, g,chillies, garlic, steamed veggies, barley in little oil. Finely add salt, lots of coriander leaves and few drops of lemon juice to it.