Tying vasambu teething bracelets for children is a tradition that has been followed for many years in India. Usually the grandmas get these teething bracelets ready, when the baby is born to tie it around their hands. It can be used for both boys and girls and this simple teething bracelets have amazing health benefits. These bracelets made with vasambu | sweet flag (English Name) is a life saver because it really helps the babies from falling sick. When my son was born, I was keen on following all these traditions and I believe that only these traditions made it easier to raise him without him falling ill often. Vasambu has got anti bacterial, anti flatulent properties that keeps the babies free from diseases. Each time the baby sucks on the vasambu pieces, a very small amount of the vasambu extract enters their stomach and this keeps them from getting stomach disorders and prevents colic. This teething bracelet also wards of insects and according to me is one of the best traditional practices that we should continue using without fail. Vasambu bracelets are sold in the shops nowadays but nothing beats homemade vasambu bracelets made with love and care by the family members. Vasambu bracelets can be easily made at home, if we follow the correct procedure. Vasambu is dried and sold in the markets and in abroad you can pick it up from health stores. Vasambu is very hard so it is absolutely necessary to soak vasambu overnight. The next day morning, scrape away the outer skin and cut into small pieces with a knife. Cut into even small rounds, now take a a large needle and thread and insert it into the cut vasambu and make a small bracelet. Since it is soft it is very easy to insert the thread into the pieces. Tie the finished teething bracelet around the babies hand and cut of the excess thread. This teething bracelet has a very pleasant smell and even the smell also is said to be very good for the babies. These teething bracelets last a long time and if the baby out grows the size, simply add few more rounds to the bracelet to make it big 🙂
1. These are vasambu pieces that are dried and sold in the markets.
2. Soak the vasambu pieces in water overnight. The next day morning, it will be soft to touch and will be a bit swollen.
3. Take a sharp knife and start peeling the outer skin. If you pull, it it usually comes apart.
4. Cut the peeled vasambu into small rounds with the help of a sharp knife.
5. Now take a needle and thread of your desired color and insert it into the cut pieces. Since the pieces are very soft, it is very easy to insert the needle. The wet vasambu bracelets have an amazing beautiful smell.
6. Let it dry out inside the house and then tie it around the babies hand, once the vasambu pieces dry, they harden. Make sure not to tie it too tight on the babies hand.
- Usually the bracelet is worn after 10 days from the babies birth.
- The soaking part is very important, else you will not be able to pierce the sweet flag pieces.
- Choose bigger vasambu pieces for making this teething bracelet.