Almost all beauty parlors have henna treatment now. Henna is wonderful in bringing back the lost sheen to an otherwise a dull hair. Henna used as a hair rinse, locks in the natural oils and helps to keep the hair healthy and shiny. I have always used fresh henna leaves for my home made treatments.
Since many of you can’t get fresh henna leaves, try using good quality henna powder. Now most of the henna powder in the market contains added dyes to get that dark reddish black color. Make sure to buy henna powder that is unadulterated and most importantly from a reputed source.
This henna hair rinse is also made with fresh amlas. Amla trees are very commonly found in found in India and that is why it is called an “Indian goose berry”. Amlas are very rich in Vitamin C and it does wonders in restoring dull hair. We get many amla based shampoos, hair oils and hair packs in the market.
But when we make our own products, we know what goes into it and it is always better than a store bought one. To make this hair rinse, first remove the seeds from the amlas. Boil water in a wide pan along with amlas. Once the amlas have softened, take it off the flame.
Add all the fresh henna leaves at once and close with a lid. When you open the lid after a few minutes, you will find that the henna leaves have lost their bright green color. Let the henna leaves steep in the water, till the water comes to room temperature. Strain and discard the henna leaves and amlas. Use it as a final hair rinse after you shampoo your hair.
Henna Hair Rinse Recipe for Damaged Hair
1. Take fresh amlas and pound them in a mortar and pestle, to remove the seeds.
2. Boil water in wide pan, along with the de-seeded amlas.
3. Once the amlas have softened, add the fresh henna leaves and switch off. Close the pan with a lid.
4. After a few you will find that henna leaves have lost it’s bright green color. Let the leaves steep till the water comes to room temperature.
5. Strain the mixture and use it a final hair rinse.
- If you don’t have fresh amlas, try fresh lemon juice.
- You can substitute fresh henna leaves with good quality henna powder.
- Please make this fresh, you can’t make ahead and store this rinse.