Ginger and honey makes a wonderful home remedy for indigestion and cough (Irumal Marunthu in Tamil). Though they have their individual benefits when used separately, this combination provides the best results for treating cold and digestion related problems. This wonderful combination treats a wide variety of diseases. Ginger and honey combination helps people to get instant relief from sinus and cold when it is taken as tea.
I personally love this combination very much and use it very often. The quality of the honey you use for this remedy is very important. Last year one of our relatives gave us a huge bottle of honey, that local people have collected from the nearby mountains. It was only after tasting that honey that I realized the difference between wild honey and the honey we get from markets.
Honey that is removed of it’s pollen content by filtration process will not have all the benefits of natural raw honey. Try to buy raw honey that is not processed and is unadulterated. This is one home remedy that can be done easily by anyone since the ingredients can be found at home. Try to use fresh ginger to make this remedy.
This combination can be effectively used by both children and adults when you have indigestion, as ginger helps in relieving gas and treats bloated stomach. We use honey and ginger along with lemon juice for stomach related problems and only honey and ginger for cough. To make this remedy, first pound the ginger and grind it to a fine paste with boiled water. Make sure that the mixture is runny and take it in a bowl.
Now leave it undisturbed for 10 minutes to 15 minutes, the thick residue will settle down leaving the clear liquid on top. Take the clear liquid and mix it with honey and few drops of lemon juice and use this syrup whenever you suffer from indigestion and upset stomach. You will be surprised, at how fast you get your digestion back in order. You can use the left over residue to make mustard foot bath.
Ginger & Honey Medicinal Use: Home Remedy For Cough!
1. Wash the fresh ginger to get rid of mud. Peel and pound it coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
2. Grind it to a fine paste with boiled water to make a fine paste. Take the ground mixture in a bowl. Add little boiled water to get the mixture runny, else you can add more water while grinding too.
3. Leave it undisturbed for 10 to 15 minutes. By now, the thick residue would have settled down leaving a clear liquid on top.
4. Take the clear liquid carefully with a spoon and mix it with honey and lemon juice.
- The ground mixture should be runny, else the residue will not settle down.
- To treat cough, don’t add the lemon juice.
- When you are removing the clear liquid make sure not to disturb the residue at the bottom.
- Make this remedy only with fresh ginger for best results.
- Don’t use too much of lemon juice, it will irritate the already upset stomach.
- Adults can take up to 2 teaspoons, for kids 1/2 to 1 teaspoon will do.