Like everyone, I was applying Vick’s vapor rub for my headaches and cold until I used a natural vapor rub from the health shop in the forest, when we went trekking last time. This all natural vapor rub sold in the health shops are made by local tribal people using the beeswax and eucalyptus oil from the forest and I loved it to the core. There are so many controversies regarding the commercial Vick’s vapor rub, that it causes harm than good, especially with children. So try making your own, as it’s very easy to make it at home. All you need are good quality essential oils. Though essential oils are expensive, little goes a long way and they last for a long time. This homemade vapor rub does not have any harmful chemicals and buying products from locals, we also have that satisfying feeling that we are supporting the local tribal people too. But last time I went, the shop was closed, I missed it a lot and so I tried making it at home. I was quite happy with my homemade Vick’s vapor rub. The base for a good homemade vapor rub are the essential oils. Eucalyptus essential oil, as we all know is great for getting rid of headache and cold. In India you get eucalyptus oil everywhere very cheaply, but that is not essential oil, try to buy eucalyptus essential oil, not the plain eucalyptus oil. You can also add a few drops of lavender, rose or any of your favorite essential oil along with the eucalyptus essential oil. If you ask my preference, I would go for the lavender, because lavender essential is soothing, calms the nerves and brings restful sleep when we have a cold. To make the homemade vapor rub, melt the beeswax with homemade coconut oil till it fully melted in a low flame. Remove once melted and let it cool for a bit and then add the essential oils. The quality of this homemade vapor rub will depend on the quality of the essential oils you are using. Try not to add the essential oils, when the mixture is too hot. Pour it into small glass jars and your homemade all natural vapor rub is ready! You can safely use this rub on very young children too.
1. Take organic bees wax in a bowl. If you are using bees wax that comes in blocks, grate it. It is easier to use bees wax that come in pellets form.
2. Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler till the bees wax melts completely.
3. Let it cool a bit, and add the essential oils. But don’t wait till it starts thickening.
4. Leave it undisturbed for an hour and it will set beautifully. Your homemade Vick’s Vapor rub is ready.
- Try using virgin coconut oil & organic bees wax
- You can safely use this homemade vapor rub even on babies.
- Use eucalyptus essential oil, not the eucalyptus oil.
- Try making smaller batches, that way it remains fresh till it gets over.