Turmeric extracts are a great way of utilizing fresh turmeric roots. Usually for pongal festival which falls in January, we harvest fresh turmeric roots for using it at the time of the festival. After the festival I had lot of beautiful, fragrant turmeric roots left. And when I was wondering how to save it for future use, I got this idea of making pure liquid turmeric rhizome extract at home. This turmeric extract has amazing health benefits and is the best way to utilize fresh turmeric. This extract is very beneficial for arthritic patients due to its anti inflammatory properties. Making turmeric tea or turmeric milk everyday will be difficult for some especially if they are traveling a lot. Though turmeric pills can be consumed everyday, they are quite expensive. This extract is perfect for people who are traveling and want to consume turmeric extract to ease the pain. This extract is made with high proof vodka (40% proof), but try to use unflavored vodka for making the extract. This extract can also be used to ward of colds and it is best taken when the infection starts. Though making this turmeric extract is a breeze, there are a few things that we should follow: First is the alcohol, try using unflavored alcohol that is high proof. The second part is to make sure to use fresh turmeric roots, when I say fresh roots it is the roots that are plucked fresh and is not starting to dry out for the extract to be beneficial. The third thing is to store in a dark bottle and wait patiently for the essence to steep in alcohol. Make sure to steep in the alcohol at least for a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks in a dark, cool place. The fourth point is to make sure that the grated turmeric is always covered in alcohol and shake it often. The dosage for the extract is around 25 drops. I know it will be very difficult to consume this extract straight as it is, especially if you are not used to alcohol. I hate even the smell of alcohol and I find the best solution for it is to mix it with your favorite fruit juice, that way it will mask the taste of the alcohol completely. Since this extract is made with alcohol, this is not for children. The best thing about this extract is the storage time, it stores well for up to 6 months to a year, especially if you are using high proof alcohol. A few days back my niece mentioned that her leg pain vanished completely after consuming turmeric extract, that is the magic of turmeric in easing the inflammation!
1. Take the fresh turmeric roots and wash it completely in water to get rid of the dirt. Since we are using it along with the skin, the washing part is very important.
2. Wear gloves and grate the turmeric root using a grater. If you don’t wear gloves, it will stain the hands very badly.
3. Now in a dark bottle add the grated turmeric and top it with unflavored high proof vodka. Shake once in 2 days.
4. Store in a dark place away from sunlight for 2 to 3 weeks, strain and store in glass bottles.
- The dosage is usually 25 drops at a time.
- Since we are using it with the skin on, make sure to use organic turmeric roots.
- Always store away from sunlight.
- For people with arthritis pain, this turmeric extract works like a pain killer but without the side effects. But the effect varies from person to person.