Massaging helps babies to sleep peacefully, reduces colic pain, relieves constipation and helps parents to bond with babies better. I am a firm believer of massage and I used to do it regularly, to my son when he was a baby. When my son was a new born, I was using a store bought massage oil from a very famous brand. I really used to love the smell of that oil and after a few weeks, there came a lawsuit against the company.
The law suit was filed because there was cancer causing substances found in one of their products and the license of the company was suspended temporarily. This really upset me very much and this incident was also one of the reason, I started trying to make my own homemade products. Many like me, fall for the branding, packaging and smell of the product and pay a huge amount of money, when it can be made purely at home with the fraction of the cost.
In India using homemade oils to massage the babies has been done for a long time. The homemade virgin coconut oil is the best base oil for this. For girl babies, we use a turmeric based massage oil. This massage oil keeps the babies skin soft and free from infections. For massaging boy babies, the homemade virgin coconut oil can be used as it is. As turmeric tends to reduce body hair growth, we don’t use it on boys. To make this massage oil, first take an organic turmeric and rub it in a coarse stone along with little water to get turmeric paste. Heat homemade virgin coconut oil in a pan.
Make sure not fill the pan full with the oil, as the oil will splutter all over. Add the turmeric paste, the oil will start sizzling. Remove the oil, once the sizzling sound stops and let it cool. Make sure not to burn the turmeric paste. Once it is completely cool, strain and store in glass bottles. To use, before bath, massage this oil gently all over the body and then give them a bath with warm water. Use this oil weekly twice for best results.
How to Make Turmeric & Coconut Face Massage Oil:
1. I used my homemade virgin coconut oil as a base. You can also use store bought virgin coconut oil.
2. Make turmeric paste by rubbing an organic turmeric against a coarse stone.
3. Heat the homemade virgin coconut oil in a pan slightly and add the turmeric paste.
4. The oil will start sizzling, keep a close watch so it doesn’t burn.
5. Once the sizzling sound stops, switch off and let it cool.
6. Once cool, store it in glass bottles.
- Make sure not to burn the turmeric paste.
- Since we are using it on babies, try using only organic turmeric.
- This oil also prevents skin infections and treats diaper rash too.
- For boy babies, use the homemade virgin coconut oil as a massage oil.
- Don’t heat the oil too much before adding the turmeric paste.
- Don’t fill the pan with oil to the brim, it will spill over.