This tamarind/ imli pain balm is one of the best natural sore muscle pain relievers. The thought of ripe tamarind brings back fond childhood memories. I used to love eating it. In our house, there is not a single day, that we have not used tamarind in our cooking.
Every summer, we collect fresh ripe tamarind from the trees in our farm. Remove the outer shell, seeds and store it in huge earthen pots along with little salt. Other than culinary uses, tamarind has medicinal uses too.
Before the store bought pain balm became famous, tamarind paste was the first choice for sore muscles, minor sprains and swollen joints. It helps to reduce the pain and swelling without any burning sensation that usually accompanies a store bought pain balm.
It is so gentle on the skin too. To make this pain balm, remove the shell and the inner seeds of ripe tamarind. Soak the flesh in water for 2 to 3 hours. Make a smooth paste out of it in the blender. Add a little salt and turmeric powder to it and boil the paste till it reaches a thick creamy consistency. Apply the paste on the affected area, when it is still warm!
Tamarind | Imli Medicinal Uses & Benefits: Sore Muscle Relief Pain Balm
1. Take fresh, ripe tamarind. Remove the outer shell. Take the flesh and remove the seeds from it.
2. Soak the flesh in water for at least 2 to 3 hours. Blend to a smooth puree in a mixer.
3. Take the puree in a pan along with little bit of salt and turmeric powder.
4. Boil till thick. Wait for it cool a bit and apply it while it is still warm.
- Blend to smooth puree, else the balm will have lumps.
- Use organic or homemade turmeric powder.
- If you don’t get fresh tamarind, use store bought tamarind.
- This balm is only for very minor sprains and soreness.