Marjoram Traditional Uses:
- Here in Tamil Nadu we use maruvu to tie garlands and the combination of jasmine flowers and maruvu is very famous. I love, love to keep this combination in my hair and the smell transports us to a different place and era. This habit of mixing up jasmine and marjoram has been done for many years and I think there is a reason that women were encouraged to keep these garlands.
- The amazing smell of marjoram calms even the most turbulent mind and senses. But marjoram has wide uses than using it in garlands and in my personal opinion we are not using this herb to it’s full potential. Even dried marjoram has amazing health benefits just like fresh marjoram plant.
- Marjoram is widely used in prayers and rituals here in India. In many countries marjoram is used in cooking but it is very rarely used for cooking in India. Marjoram treats variety of diseases from cold and sleep disorders to digestive related problems.
- The smell of maruvu | marjoram is one of the best relaxants ever! When sniffed before sleeping it even reduces snoring as it open up nasal pathways more.
Where To Buy Marjoram?
The best thing about this herb is it is very cheaply available and if dried and stored well, it can be used year round. Here in Tamil Nadu you can get marjoram if you visit any flower shop as they daily make garlands with it.
But if you don’t get fresh flowers you can grow your own, all that is needed is a small pot and it grows very quickly. You can also use dried marjoram or marjoram essential oil that are commonly sold everywhere.
6 Top Ways To Use Marjoram:
1. Marjoram For Snoring:
Marjoram like I mentioned before effectively prevents snoring. To use marjoram as a home remedy for sleep, sniff marjoram essential oil right before sleeping.
Taking a sniff of marjoram oil is said to greatly reduce the snoring. You can also try this blend of essential oil blend to make an effective home remedy for snoring.
Take around 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of marjoram essential oil in a small glass bottle. You can either add it to essential oil vaporizer and place it in the bedroom an hour before sleeping or simply sniff it before bed.
2. Marjoram For Headache Pain Relief:
Marjoram is very useful for easing the inflammation and can be used to ease the pain of tooth infections, arthritis, headaches and other pains.
To use it for headache relief make marjoram tea by boiling the dried leaves in water till it is reduced in half and sweeten it with honey.
This tea also relieves one of nervous headaches, cold and respiratory related problems. As this herb is very aromatic, a little goes a long way.
3. Marjoram For High blood Pressure:
A study conducted on the effect of marjoram for high blood pressure showed that blood pressure reduced significantly when marjoram was used.
The best way to use marjoram for blood pressure is to use it as a massage oil. When using it as a massage oil, always use it with base oils and the best base oils are cold pressed unrefined oils.
Use around 15 drops of marjoram oil for a cup of base oil. A good massage with this oil is the best way to De-stress and no wonder the blood pressure comes down 🙂
4. Marjoram For Sleep:
The best way to use marjoram for sleep is by making sleep pillows. Sleep pillows are very effective and is a fun project to do at home that gives amazing results, these also make great gifts.
To make the sleep pillows shade dry the marjoram till completely dry and fill it in pure cotton cloth bags preferably muslin bags as they let out the scent better.
Stitch small sachets out of pure cotton for making these sleep pillows or you can even purchase it. If the herbs are dried completely, they really last a long time. You can also use the marjoram and lavender essential oil blend mentioned before too.
5. Marjoram For Skin:
Marjoram can be used to treat skin disorders very effectively. You can also make your own marjoram cream by boiling a cup of olive oil with a bunch of fresh marjoram.
Once the essence has completely steeped in, melt around 2 tbsp of bees wax along with the marjoram steeped oil till the wax melts.
Let it cool and your homemade marjoram skin cream is ready! This cream can be applied for treating stiffness, sprains, etc
6. Marjoram For Hair:
Marjoram treats the infections of the scalp. Try making this hair rinse, make a hair rinse by boiling a bunch of fresh marjoram in water and use it as a hair rinse.
You can also add a few drops of marjoram essential oil to make it very effective. Of course lastly my favorite use, tie garlands with marjoram and jasmine flowers for your hair to calm your senses and make you feel really good!