Vasambu is a magic herb and has amazing health benefits and uses. It is called “Pullavallathi” in Tamil, meaning it assists young mothers to raise their babies easily without any sickness. Vasambu is called “Sweet Flag” in English. Usually a piece of vasambu is tied to the babies hand, so that when the babies suck on that piece of vasambu they won’t have any stomach ailments. Vasambu helps to get rid of all gastric problems. Vasambu also stores well and can be stored in the pantry for almost a year. To use vasambu as a home remedy, a long piece of vasambu is heated on the flame directly till it burns and turns black. When we burn vasambu, it emits a really nice smell. Let the vasambu cool and then pound the burnt part of the vasambu in a mortar and pestle till you get a nice fine powder. Because it gets crisp when we burn it, it can be powdered easily. Mix the powder with honey and have it for at least three days. The amount of the vasambu powder depends on the age. For young babies, when you feel they have bloated stomach and they are not eating well, mix one-fourth tsp with honey and give them. Adults can have 1 tsp of the powder mixed with honey. The powder is not bitter at all, though it looks charcoal black.
1. Take a piece of vasambu, dip one end in pure castor oil and hold it directly over the fire. It will catch fire and burn. Make sure to take a long piece so the heat won’t burn your hand.
2. Once the vasambu turns black, remove it from fire and let cool. Powder the burnt part in a mortar and pestle to a fine powder.
3. Take the required amount of powder and mix it with honey to make a thick paste.
- Be careful when burning vasambu, as it catches fire easily.
- You can dip the whole vasambu piece in castor oil and then burn it over fire using tongs.
- Powder it finely, else it will be difficult to have it.
- Have it daily once, for three days.