I wanted to write about the health benefits of colostrum for a long time. Colostrum is the first milk produced by mammals after child birth, it lasts for a few days before true milk appears. It is very very important that the new born is given colostrum milk as it is rich in antibodies and greatly helps improve immunity. My grandma always stressed on the fact that a newborn child should be fed only colostrum and nothing else. When I was admitted in the hospital for my delivery, I was surprised to see some mothers feeding formulas and even sugar water to their newborns. In my humble opinion every pregnant mother should be educated of the benefits of feeding colostrum milk for the baby. It is very very important that we get to know the benefits of colostrum milk, here I have listed all the benefits of feeding colostrum for babies: 1. Colostrum For Immunity: Colostrum is very essential for improving the immunity in babies as it contains antibodies. The antibodies in colostrum milk prevents the baby from falling ill due to bacterial and viral infections. 2. Colostrum For Gut Health: Colostrum is the best food for newborns as they can easily assimilate it and it also improves the gut health and prepares it for the regular milk that it will receive later. 3. Colostrum For Nutrients: Colostrum has got the perfect blend of nutrients that are essential for newborns overall growth and development. 4. Colostrum As a Laxative: Colostrum also acts as a laxative and helps baby pass the first black stools. Nowadays bovine colostrum is also gaining in popularity, I was quite surprised to learn the amount of bovine supplements sold online. Here in our village side, it is greatly treasured and we consider it a great delicacy. When a calf is born, after letting it feed on the colostrum the rest of the bovine colostrum is usually shared with family and friends, we call it seempal | seepampal in Tamil, I have given the method of preparing it at home below. Bovine colostrum also has wonderful benefits: 5. Bovine Colostrum For Immunity: Bovine colostrum helps improve immunity as it has powerful immune factors that protects the body against infections. Here is a study proving the effective of bovine colostrum on prolonged exercise induced immune dysfunction. 6. Bovine Colostrum For Body Building: Bovine colostrum is rich in protein and since it helps build lean body mass and also helps repair and build muscle faster, bovine colostrum is a boon to a person who is trying to build up his lean body mass. You can read about the study proving it here. Bovine Colostrum Side Effects: We have been having bovine colostrum for years without any side effects but I would suggest eating bovine colostrum that is not processed in any way. But like with all milk products if consumed in excess it will cause flatulence. I would suggest taking bovine colostrum from organic grass fed cows for best results, the best way to get it is from local farmers. If you are planning on taking bovine supplements, try to research well about the bovine supplement before buying. I haven’t tried bovine supplements so I don’t know how effective they are…
Method of Preparing Bovine Colostrum:
1. Use a wide thick bottomed pan and a perforated ladle like this for preparing bovine colostrum.
2. Heat on a medium flame stirring once in a while. After few minutes you will find small pieces of milk solids forming.
3. Continue stirring the milk and it will slowly start splitting, keep removing the solids with the help of the ladle and remove onto a bowl.
4. After some time the milk solids would have fully split, remove the solids fully. It should be soft to the touch and not rubbery.
5. Discard the thin liquid, you can use it for watering your plants.
6. Take the required amount of split milk solid and serve it warm with powdered jaggery sprinkled on top. One of the healthiest & tastiest desserts you can make at home…
- Make sure to remove the milk solids once they start splitting else it will turn rubbery very very soon.
- I am surprised to see some children refusing to eat it. Introduce bovine colostrum to children from a young age, my son loves it.
- Bovine colostrum milk will be pale yellow in color (mine looks almost white due to the lighting)
- If you leave it for a long time in the fire, it will turn rubbery.
- It tastes so very delicious, just like ice cream no even better than that 🙂
- We don’t use the first colostrum milk (the milk got immediately after the birth), it is more thick and will never split into milk solids and water at all.