I wanted to write about the health benefits of colostrum for a long time. Colostrum is the first milk produced by mammals after child birth, it lasts for a few days before true milk appears. It is very very important that the new born is given colostrum milk as it is rich in antibodies and greatly helps improve immunity. My grandma always stressed on the fact that a newborn child should be fed only colostrum and nothing else.
When I was admitted in the hospital for my delivery, I was surprised to see some mothers feeding formulas and even sugar water to their newborns. In my humble opinion every pregnant mother should be educated of the benefits of feeding colostrum milk for the baby. It is very very important that we get to know the benefits of colostrum milk.
Benefits of Feeding Colostrum For Babies:
1. Colostrum For Immunity:
2. Colostrum For Gut Health:
3. Colostrum For Nutrients:
4. Colostrum As a Laxative:
Bovine Colostrum Health Benefits:
5. Bovine Colostrum For Immunity:
6. Bovine Colostrum For Body Building:
Bovine Colostrum Side Effects:
We have been having bovine colostrum for years without any side effects but I would suggest eating bovine colostrum that is not processed in any way. But like with all milk products if consumed in excess it will cause flatulence. I would suggest taking bovine colostrum from organic grass fed cows for best results.
The best way to get it is from local farmers. If you are planning on taking bovine supplements, try to research well about the bovine supplement before buying. I haven’t tried bovine supplements so I don’t know how effective they are…
Method of Preparing Bovine Colostrum:
1. Use a wide thick bottomed pan and a perforated ladle like this for preparing bovine colostrum.
2. Heat on a medium flame stirring once in a while. After few minutes you will find small pieces of milk solids forming.
3. Continue stirring the milk and it will slowly start splitting, keep removing the solids with the help of the ladle and remove onto a bowl.
4. After some time the milk solids would have fully split, remove the solids fully. It should be soft to the touch and not rubbery.
5. Discard the thin liquid, you can use it for watering your plants.
6. Take the required amount of split milk solid and serve it warm with powdered jaggery sprinkled on top. One of the healthiest & tastiest desserts you can make at home…
- Make sure to remove the milk solids once they start splitting else it will turn rubbery very very soon.
- I am surprised to see some children refusing to eat it. Introduce bovine colostrum to children from a young age, my son loves it.
- Bovine colostrum milk will be pale yellow in color (mine looks almost white due to the lighting)
- If you leave it for a long time in the fire, it will turn rubbery.
- It tastes so very delicious, just like ice cream no even better than that 🙂
- We don’t use the first colostrum milk (the milk got immediately after the birth), it is more thick and will never split into milk solids and water at all.
All of it belongs to the new born calf, it's for the development of the calf right, I have seen some people sell it on bangalore streets and people bringing sweets made of it from their native, if only the cow could talk imagine what it would say..just my thoughts I don't mean to belittle anyone..:-))
Hi Lata, I understand your feelings about consuming bovine colostrum. But the truth is unlike humans cows produces excess colostrum milk. The calf is always fed the right amount of colostrum (I have never seen a farmer who denies a calf colostrum milk) and the excess has to be milked else the cows will develop mastitis…
Such an enlightening post. Thank you. 🙂
I remember, when we were staying in a small town , my mom use to ask all milk wala to get here that milk. And she would make barfi (jelly type) we loved it.