Dyeing our hair with henna can be can be done as often we want, without bothering about the side effects. It is a great conditioner, but applying henna is a time consuming process. Make sure to buy the henna powder that is pure and one that does not have any other additives to it. Henna paste stains, so make sure to wear gloves if you don’t want it to stain your fingers. Henna looks different on each and every person.
If you are trying out henna for the first time, make sure not to try it before any special occasions, as henna color does not remove easily from the hair. To make home made henna hair dye, first make a strong tea decoction with regular black tea. Mix the henna powder with equal quantity of lemon juice and tea decoction the previous night. Next day morning, mix the paste with few drops of eucalyptus oil. Divide the hair into sections and apply the henna paste.
Let it sit for at least 2 to 3 hours before washing off. Then use a mild shampoo to wash the hair. Henna color might look too bright the first day after you apply. Don’t panic, it will deepen over time. Henna hair dye can be made with coffee decoction too. Try it with both tea and coffee and choose the one that you like best, based on the final color of your hair.
I would strongly suggest adding eucalyptus oil. Since we are letting henna soak for at least 2 to 3 hours it might not agree with every one, some might get a headache or catch a cold. Adding eucalyptus oil prevents that, but try using good quality eucalyptus oil. Henna paste can be used to streak the hair too. Apply henna paste to the hair that you want to be streaked and cover that area with foil, so it doesn’t stain the rest of the hair. Enjoy chemical free hair dyeing!
How to Mix Henna for Hair
1. Make a strong tea decoction by boiling water with black tea.
2. Add equal quantity tea decoction and lemon juice and make a paste. Let it sit overnight.
3. The next day, add few drops of eucalyptus oil and mix well. Make sure the paste is not too thick, else it will be hard to apply on the hair.
4. Divide the hair into sections and apply the paste. Let it soak for at least 2 to 3 hours, before washing off the henna paste. Then wash the hair with a mild shampoo.
- Make sure the paste is neither too thin or too thick.
- Try henna when you are not pressed for time, as you need to soak henna for atleast 2 to 3 hours for best results.
- The quantity of the powder, depends on the length of the hair.