I love curry leaves and use it extensively both in cooking and for hair care. I have grown up seeing both my grandmothers and aunts use curry leaves for hair care and so naturally I started using it for my hair too. Till today, curry leaf hair oil remains my all favorite hair oil, I love it because it strengthens the hair follicles and greatly prevents hair fall.
Along with external application, I would suggest consuming curry leaves regularly as it provides all the nutrients required for hair growth. At home, we regularly consume curry leaves in the form of curry leaf buttermilk got by mixing pounded curry leaves in buttermilk along with roasted jeera powder and salt. We also consume curry leaf tea, spiced curry leaf powder and also we use it as a seasoning in most of our recipes. You will understand why it is important to consume curry leaves for promoting hair growth if you get to know it’s nutritional content.
Curry Leaves Nutrition:
Curry Leaves Hair Benefits:
- Curry leaves when used externally as an oil nourishes the scalp and strengthens the hair follicles.
- Curry leaves when used as a hair pack removes product build up in the scalp. We regularly use many chemical products on a regular basis for our hair which results in product buildup. Weekly once use of curry leaf hair pack removes product buildup from the scalp.
- Curry leaves are one of the best home remedies for treating premature greying and I have seen it personally. My neighbor who had premature greying reversed her greying with curry leaf hair oil. It really amazed me to see how effective curry leaves are for treating hair problems.
- When we massage our scalp with curry leaf hair oil made with curry leaves and coconut oil, it improves blood circulation in the scalp thus promoting new hair growth.
- Curry leaves are rich in nutrients essential for hair growth, regular consumption of curry leaves will stop hair loss caused due to nutrient deficiencies.
Curry Leaves For Hair Growth:
Also curry leaves are rich in antioxidants so it prevents free radicals in the body which are the main cause of premature ageing of skin and hair. At home, we add curry leaves as a seasoning to almost all our dishes and I have been advised from young age to consume the curry leaves added to the dishes.
Usually most people discard the curry leaves found in the dishes and because of that reason curry leaf is usually sited as an example for people who make use of people in need and discard them later. I would highly suggest both consuming curry leaves and applying it externally on the scalp on a daily basis, it will keep our hair lustrous and strong……
3 Top Ways To Use Curry Leaves For Hair Growth:
1. Curry Leaf Hair Pack:
For the hair pack, take a cup of curry leaves in a mixer. Add in the juice of about half a lemon. Finally add enough homemade coconut milk or yogurt and grind to a smooth paste and apply as a hair pack. Wait for half an hour for the hair pack to dry before washing it off. This hair pack will treat dandruff, product build in the scalp and arrest hair fall.
2. Curry Leaf Hair Oil:
To make curry leaf hair oil, take 1 cup of curry leaves, wash, spread on a cloth and shade dry to remove all moisture. Now heat a cup of unrefined coconut oil and once hot, add all the curry leaves at once and switch off. Store this oil along with the leaves and use daily. You can find step by step instructions for making it here.
3. Curry Leaf Tea To Stop Hair Loss:
Curry leaves: 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns: 1/4 tsp
Water: 2 cups
Take pesticide free curry leaves in a mortar and pestle and pound coarsely. Take the cumin seeds and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle and pound it coarsely. Heat water in a cup, add the pounded curry leaves and cumin, peppercorns mixture. Boil till the color of the water changes to green color. Switch off and strain. drink this tea regularly to stop hair loss.
Hey Ramya. Thanks a lot for this
Hi Ramya,My daughter is 2 yrs old, can i use crry leaf oil for her? Can I also add rosemary (washed and put in hot oil) along with curry leaves? My little one has very light hair (very fine and less dense), pls recommend something for her?ThanksPriya
Hi Priya, I would suggest using plain curry leaf oil for her regularly (without rosemary), it will greatly help….
Hi ramya I have danruff problem. But I have sinus too. So please suggest me any hair packs
You can use egg hair pack by mixing one egg with little bit of virgin coconut oil. It won’t aggravate the sinus problem but will make the hair soft along with promoting hair growth….
Hi Ms. Ramya can I drink the curry leaf tea twice a day
Veera Sennu Krisna