We call nut grass rhizomes Korai Kizhangu | Muthakasu in Tamil and Nagarmotha in Hindi. Nut grass is considered a weed but the rhizomes of the grass are regarded very highly in ayurvedic medicine and has been used for thousands of years. The grass is used to make mats and you will never find a single home in our village without the mat, we call it korai pai. Though you get plastic mats, I would suggest trying mats made out of nagarmotha, I am sure you will love it as much as I do. The botanical name of nagarmotha is Cyperus Rotundus and it is said to have been originated in India. You will be really surprised at the medicinal properties of the rhizome, it has astringent, analgesic, diuretic, antispasmodic, anti inflammatory, the list goes on and on. Many of these properties have been proven through clinical research. The rhizomes are black in color with a very distinctive pleasant odor. The rhizomes are used to make essential oil and nagarmotha oil also have lot of medicinal values. The nagarmotha | cypriol oil is used in creams, lotions and in perfumery. Nagarmotha is widely used in home remedies and it is also a very important ingredient in preparing the famous chyawanprash. Nagarmotha powder are sold everywhere, if you can get fresh roots you can use them too. Here are some of the very effective home remedies using nagarmotha: 1. Nagarmotha Essential Oil For Skin: Nagarmotha oil is a very very effective as a massage oil. It has been proven to have antibacterial properties. But never use the oil directly, always combine it with a base oil like unrefined coconut oil or sesame oil. Massaging the body with nagarmotha oil treats all the skin infections very effectively. It also relaxes a person very effectively. Nagarmotha oil also can be used for massaging painful joints and inflammation. 2. Nagarmotha For getting rid of intestinal worms: Nagarmotha is a very effective ingredient to get rid of intestinal worms. Nagarmotha powder taken along with little bit of ginger powder and honey is a very effective treatment for intestinal worms. 3. Nagarmotha For Diabetes: Nagarmotha powder has been proven through research to significantly reduce the blood sugar levels. There are also very few side effects of taking nagarmotha. 4. Nagarmaotha For Diarrhea: Nagarmotha decoction is used for treating diarrhea and is also proven through clinical research. To make the remedy, boil 1/2 cup of water along with a small piece of pounded nagarmotha, let it reduce, strain and have.This water also can be given for treating fevers and indigestion. 5. Nagarmotha For Wound healing: The wound healing effect of nagarmotha also has been proven through research. The fresh paste of the root can be used for treating all kinds of wounds. It can also be applied as poultice on the breasts to increase breast milk supply. 6. Nagarmotha For Hair Removal: Nagarmotha has always been used in many of the traditional bath powders because it prevents skin infections and body odor. When it is combined along with turmeric and kuppaimeni leaves, it helps to get rid of unwanted hair. This is a very safe treatment but it takes consistent daily use to see results…
1. Soak turmeric in water and rub onto a coarse stone to make a paste.
2. Sun dry the korai kilangu and grind to a powder. I ground it to a coarse powder as I was going to grind again along with other ingredients.
3. Collect fresh kuppaimeni plant and grind it along with turmeric paste and nagarmutha powder
3. Grind to a very fine paste. To use, apply this paste on the face, let it dry and gently scrub it off.
- This paste should be applied regularly to see results. It can be used all over the body too.
- This paste also treats all kinds of skin infections.
- I have used fresh kuppaimeni but you can substitute it with good quality powder.
- You can also use nagarmotha powder which is easily available online.
- Like all herbal preparation for hair removal this is a treatment that takes months of regular use to see results, but it works.
- This paste can be applied for young girls regularly as it does not have any side effects.