We all know the health benefits of eating ripe papaya but many of us are not aware of the wonderful health benefits and medicinal uses of papaya seeds | paw paw seeds. In fact many think the seed are poisonous, papaya seeds are edible.
Papaya seeds are one of the best home remedies for intestinal parasites and I have been aware of this use but I was quite surprised when I knew of it’s other medicinal values. In India, papaya seeds are actually dried and used as an adulterant for black pepper as it is much cheaper than black pepper.
When dried they look almost similar to black pepper. Though eating large quantities of papaya seeds is not good (though the correct safe dosage for humans is not determined, it has been proven to be toxic in very high doses for certain animals), consuming small quantities can be actually used as a remedy for certain ailments very effectively.
Nutritional Value Of Papaya Seeds:
Papaya Seeds Medicinal Uses:
1. Papaya Seeds For Intestinal Worms:
2. Papaya Seeds For Liver & Kidney Protecting Properties:
3. Papaya Seeds For Cancer:
4. Papaya Seeds As a Natural Contraceptive:
Papaya seeds have anti fertility properties and is a very good natural contraceptive without having any side effects. While taking papaya seeds, there will be a reduction in sperm count.
The anti fertility effects are dosage and duration dependent and zero fertility is observed in high dosages. But this effect is reversible within 30 to 45 days after stopping the consumption of papaya seeds. Here is the study proving this claim.
5. Papaya Seeds For Skin:
Papaya seeds have wonderful skin benefits and especially it is known for it’s wound healing properties. Traditionally papaya seed extract have been used for wound healing with good results.
The decoction got by boiling the seeds in water is used to wash the wounds which results in very fast wound healing. This is due to it’s wonderful antimicrobial properties.
This traditional use also has been proven clinically, you can read the research here. Papaya seeds can be used in both skin and hair packs. Along with the above mentioned uses, papaya seeds also have anti ulcer properties.
Where To Buy Papaya Seeds?
Papaya Seeds Side Effects:
How To Dry Papaya Seeds For Eating: Recipe
Raw papaya seeds have a fiery and spicy taste almost similar to black pepper and it is usually mixed along with honey and had. Below, I have given a simple method that will make consuming it easier if you dislike consuming the raw seeds. Use the powder for 2 to 3 days continuously few months once to get rid of intestinal worms.
1. Remove the papaya seeds and soak them in water for a few seconds to remove papaya flesh sticking to it completely. You can also select smaller variety papaya as their seeds tend to be much milder.
2. Gently spread the seeds on a cotton cloth to absorb all the moisture and then spread on a plate and sun dry till crisp covered with a thin mesh.
3. It should be sundried till crisp like this. You can store the dried seeds for future use.
4. Now take a tsp of the dried seeds and powder it finely in a mortar and pestle and we can consume it sprinkled over salad along with little sea salt.
It can be used as a substitute for pepper. Consuming papaya seeds like this is easy. Also when starting off, start with 1/4 tsp and work your way up to 3/4’th to 1 tsp.