Turmeric tea has many health benefits and is one of the best ways to consume turmeric for treating many illnesses and it is truly an all purpose medicine. It can be used for treating inflammation, internal wounds, ulcers, fever and to increase immunity. One of my nieces shared her experience with me after drinking turmeric tea.
A few weeks back she had severe knee pain and since she was having her exams, she didn’t have the time to visit a doctor. She tried turmeric tea as she had heard about it a lot. When she spoke to me about her experience, she was all praises for turmeric tea because she said it was like magic to see her pain reduce considerably.
This magic effect of turmeric is due to it’s wonderful anti inflammatory properties. I have been using turmeric extensively for many years now but I am still in awe with this wonderful spice. I am so in love with turmeric that I have never been without turmeric in my house.
Turmeric Tea Health Benefits:
1. Turmeric Tea For Acne:
2. For Cold, Cough & Sore Throat:
3. For Weight Loss:
4. Turmeric Tea For Pain:
5. For Improving Immunity:
Side Effects of Turmeric Tea:
How To Make Turmeric Tea With Ginger & Honey At Home:
1. If you are using fresh turmeric, try soaking it in water for at least half an hour to remove all the dirt. Peel the outer skin and cut it into slices. Fresh turmeric stains more so wear gloves if you don’t want the stain in your hands.
2. Take the turmeric root, ginger, palm candy, peppercorns and cardamom seeds.
3. Pound all of them together coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
4. Boil a cup of water and once it comes to boil, add the pounded ingredients and boil for a few minutes.
5. If you are planning on taking this tea before bed time, grate nutmeg into it and then strain.
- If you want to add milk and drink it as a comforting drink, add it after straining.
- While using it as a remedy for treating phlegm and indigestion, don’t add milk.
- I have used palm candy as it is very nutritious but if you don’t have it at home, substitute it with honey. Add it after straining the tea.
- This remedy is also very good for indigestion.
Where do you get fresh turmeric now?
Our neighbor had planted turmeric in their farm and he gave us some…:)
Can we use turmeric powder instead of root?
Yes, you can use turmeric powder instead of root…
Hi. How much turmeric powder to use,instead of fresh turmeric? Thank you.
Add around 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder for 150 ml of water…
i thought we are only suppose to use manjil when it is boiled and dried then taken only with milk or oil and usually the fresh one is not used because i never saw anyone drink it like a tea regularly and never had as a pickle as some north indians do. can you clarify? maybe this tea is only done only if necessary and not to be had daily?
Boiling turmeric is done for variety of reasons: 1. It distributes the color evenly and sterilizes it 2. It softens the rhizome thus making it easier to slice into small pieces which decreases the drying time 3. It also removes the raw odor 4. It smooths out the skin making it easier to polish resulting in attractive turmerics..:). If you clean the roots well and boil the grated root till the raw smell goes, you can use fresh turmeric roots too..
Hi mam, Am growing turmeric in my terrace. Is it necessary to boil it before slicing drying n grinding? Is it unhealthy not to boil them before slicing drying n grinding ?
Turmeric root is boiled for the above mentioned reasons (read the comment above). We use fresh turmeric a lot and in my opinion there is no harm in drying the roots without boiling it..
I have always thought that turmeric was fat soluble and should be taken with an oil or fat. Your tea recipe has no fat in it. Will this be absorbed by the body? Thank you for your help.
Hi Ramya,Very happy to see your blog.Very nicely explained and presented,Usually people dont like to share their secret recipe but its so nice of you to let knowledge spread across the world.I have a query.My mother has arthritis is there any home remedies to reduce the pain.Regards,Kavita
Hi Ramya.Namaskar. This is really very nice and excellent, informative blog. Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge. I have kasturi manjal powder at home.(WILD TURMERIC). Can i mix in milk for drinking like TURMERIC MILK. Plese clarify my doubt. Thank you.