We all know the benefits of eating bananas, but many of us overlook the benefit of eating banana stem. Especially banana stem juice/vazhlai thandu juice/ plantain stem juice has many health benefits and can be made at home very easily. I include banana stem at least weekly once in my lunch and love to have it with rice. These are the top health benefits of banana stem juice: 1. For Kidney Stones: Nowadays even doctors recommend including banana stem in the diet, for patients who suffer from gall bladder stones. If you are suffering from gall bladder stones, include banana stem in the diet at least weekly once. 2. For Weight Loss: Banana stem is full of fiber, a cup of banana stem is very filling and will keep you satiated for a long time. Try to include it in your weight loss plan for fast results 3. Hyper Acidity: Drinking a cup of banana stem juice helps in treating hyper acidity. You can also have it in empty stomach 4. For Constipation : Since plantain stem is full of fiber, it will greatly help people who are constipated. If you want to consume it as a juice for treating constipation, make sure not to strain the juice. 5. For Diabetic Patients: Banana stem is excellent for diabetics, as it does not raise the blood sugar level sharply but drink the juice without straining it to retain the fiber. 6. For UTI: Banana stem juice is also very effective for treating urinary tract infections. Many people don’t use banana stem in their diet because it takes time to clean and cut the banana stem. But banana stem once cleaned and cut can be soaked in buttermilk and stored in the refrigerator for days. Everyday, you can take the required amount of the banana stem and then make the juice. If the buttermilk gets too sour, you can change the buttermilk alone. This way, we save so much of time and you can consume banana stem often too. To make the banana stem juice, take the cut banana stem along with salt, pepper, roasted jeera powder and fresh yogurt and grind to a smooth paste. Thin it down to the desired thickness with boiled water. It is really tasty and it should drunk once it is made for best results.
1. These are the freshly cut banana stems.
2. Peel the outer layer, cut into thin rounds and also remove the fiber between the rounds. Cut the rounds into small pieces and soak it in buttermilk thinned down with a little bit of water.
3. Dry roast cumin seeds and powder it using mortar and pestle.
4. Take the required amount of banana stem from the buttermilk, add fresh yogurt, roasted cumin powder, salt, fresh pepper powder and grind to a fine paste.
5. Thin it down with little bit of boiled water to the required consistency and your healthy banana stem juice is ready!
- If you don’t like to drink as it is, you can strain it using the soup strainer.
- Don’t add too much of roasted powder, the smell will be too over powering.
- Store the left over banana stem soaked in the buttermilk in the refrigerator.
- Add the cut banana stem immediately into the buttermilk, else it will discolor.
- Drink the juice immediately once made for best results.