Sugarcane juice is one of the best natural summer thirst quenchers that tastes great and has amazing health benefits. It is called ganne ka ras in Hindi and karumbu juice in Tamil. There is a small family run jaggery making unit near my sisters place and whenever they collect fresh sugarcane juice for making jaggery, fresh sugarcane juice can be got from them. I prefer to get the juice from them as they make the juice hygienically. Sugarcane juice is full of nutrients and is high in iron, calcium, vitamins, proteins and antioxidants. It has the following health benefits: 1. Sugarcane juice for weight loss: Sugarcane juice has a low GI making it the perfect weight loss food as it keeps us full, hydrated and at the same time providing the body with vital nutrients. 2. Sugarcane juice for diabetic patients: In a study conducted on diabetic patients consuming raw unrefined sugarcane juice did not alter the blood sugar levels drastically as it is low in GI when compared to white sugar. Diabetic patients can enjoy sugarcane juice in moderation. 3. Sugarcane juice for acidity: Any alkaline food has a soothing effect on the stomach and sugarcane juice is no exception. Being alkaline it treats acidity and relieves one of stomach burn. 4. Sugarcane juice for liver: Sugarcane juice is highly recommended for people who suffer from jaundice due it’s to low acidic nature. Sugarcane juice mixed with lime juice is a popular home remedy for jaundice. 5. Sugarcane juice for early periods: Drinking sugar cane juice is one of the most followed home remedies for getting early periods without any side effects. Start drinking sugar cane juice 4 to 5 days before expected period date to see results. 6. Sugarcane juice for skin: Since sugarcane juice is full of nutrients it can be used as a liquid for mixing dry ingredients into a paste for the face pack. If you have an oily skin, you can replace milk in the face pack with sugar cane juice. 7. Sugarcane juice for hair & nails: Regular consumption of sugarcane juice keeps the nails and hair healthy and prevents breakage as it is full of vital minerals. Whenever I am not able to get the juice from a reliable source, I prefer to make it on my own like mentioned below. Side effects of sugarcane juice: Sugarcane juice if consumed too much at a time can cause diarrhea in some people. I get diarrhea if I drink a lot of this juice, so I always drink a small glass at a time. If you are consuming it the first time, drink a small glass and then gradually increase the quantity.
1. Take sugarcane and scrape the outer skin with a knife. Cut into small pieces- we use an instrument called koduval for cutting the sugar cane into small pieces.
2. In a mixer, add the cut sugarcane pieces, little bit of boiled water and a small piece of ginger and grind as finely as you can.
3. Strain and add few drops of lemon juice, your homemade sugarcane juice is ready!
- The cutting part is really difficult unless you have the proper instrument.
- This juice is best had fresh. The cut pieces can be refrigerated and the juice can be made fresh daily.
- I really don’t like to add any water unless the sugar cane is dry. See if you can grind it finely and extract the juice without water, if not then add very little water.
- Ginger, lemon juice and sugarcane juice is an amazing combination, but add according to the quantity of the juice.
- Street vendors usually insert the sugar cane into the sugar cane machine along with little ginger, extract the juice and then finely add the lemon juice.