I am a firm believer of aromatherapy and I find it a great stress buster. This homemade reed diffuser is a great and fun way to relax at home and the best thing is once you make it, it lasts a long time. Reed diffusers can be made with oils or water as a base. Almond oil, grape seed oil, safflower oil are good choices for using it as a base. But I prefer water based diffusers and as usual went for my favorite homemade rose water as a base. I feel water based reed diffusers let out the scent better.
The next ingredient is vodka or rubbing alcohol, as they help the essential oils mix with the water. I prefer vodka as a binding agent because I detest the smell of rubbing alcohol. I don’t mind using rubbing alcohol in some of my homemade products but when it comes to fragrance, I prefer the unflavored vodka. You can also use complimentary flavors, like lemon flavored vodka with lemon essential oil and water, etc.
The next thing is essential oils, get creative here and try mixing your own blends. I went with rose essential oil and lavender, but it is really your choice, you can even use a single essential oil too. The reeds that are used to diffuse the scent is sold every everywhere cheaply now. The final and the best part is choosing the bottle for the diffuser. Try to get a beautiful, narrow necked bottle for making the diffuser. Don’t place the diffuser in a place, where it gets direct sunlight, the diffusers will loose their scent very quickly.
Remember to turn the sticks around every few days and if they completely loose their scent, add a splash of vodka and few drops of essential oil to the mixture. Swirling the bottle around once every few days also helps. To relax, choose essential oils like lavender, rose, etc. To freshen up, choose citrus essential oils and try to get good quality essential oils for the best fragrance. If you enjoy making this reed diffuser at home, I think you will enjoy making homemade aromatic candles too. Watch the video on making aromatherapy candles below.
How To Make Reed Diffuser at Home:
1. Get all the ingredients ready- vodka, essential oils, rose water and the reeds.
2. Mix the vodka, essential oils and rose water together and pour it into a narrow mouthed bottle.
3. Place the reeds in the bottle. The more reeds you use, the stronger the fragrance will be. Place it in a cool place in your room and relax.
- If using citrus or other essential oils, use distilled water instead of rose water.
- You can also try it with oil as a base and follow the same recipe.
- If you use more amount of vodka, the essential oils will vaporize fast.
- You can also try this diffuser with your favorite perfume.