Mosquitoes are a huge problem all over the world and it is the major cause of of deaths every year. I still remember watching a TV channel listing of the top 5 organisms that are the major cause for human deaths, few years back. Mosquitoes easily topped that list, causing around 1 million deaths per year all around the world. In India we had lots of human deaths due to dengue recently.
Whenever I travel, I always take a bottle of mosquito repellent with me, but end up not using it because it is too strong for me. This homemade mosquito repellent has been proven to be very effective in a research done by Malaria Research Center in India. This homemade mosquito repellent has coconut oil, neem oil and essential oils. Neem oil is very effective in warding of mosquitoes.
What I like most about this blend apart from being cost effective is that it can be used by very young children too. This blend can also be used for months, without any side effects on the skin. To make this blend, mix virgin coconut oil with neem oil. Add few drops of either citronella, eucalyptus or clove essential oil to the mixture.
All these essential oils are good natural mosquito repellents. Pure neem oil has a strong, unpleasant smell so don’t use more than the mentioned amount. This mosquito repellent blend is especially effective in warding off mosquitoes that causes malaria. Next time you travel, just take this mixture with you and enjoy a mosquito free holiday!
Natural Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe
1. This is neem oil. It is an inexpensive oil, which is available everywhere now. I always have a small bottle of this oil at home and it keeps well for months together.
2. Take neem oil, virgin coconut oil and essential oil and mix the well.
3. Pour them into small glass bottles, that you can easily carry around. To use, take a little bit of the blend and apply all over the exposed skin.
- This mosquito repellent keeps well for months.
- It can be safely used for children too.
- For best results, try to use best quality oils.