After I made my homemade Vaseline, I wanted to try my hands on homemade lip gloss with homemade Vaseline as a base. This homemade lip gloss has so many benefits. It is great for dry chapped lips. Since it is 100% natural, any one including small girls can use it. It is very economical and costs the fraction of store bought lip balm. I usually don’t shop for lip gloss, as my sister-in-law usually brings it for me, whenever she visits India.
But then I wanted to make a lip gloss that is 100% chemical free and one that is equally good or if not better than store bought ones. The main problem I had with making homemade lip gloss was the color. The book I referred to advised to use food colors, if not left over lip stick to get the suitable color.
But since I was keen on making the lip gloss without any synthetic colors, I decided to use extracts. At first I thought of using alkanet root to get a deep red color, but decided against it, since many of you won’t be able to get it easily. I finally settled with beetroot juice for my color and my lip gloss ended up with a beautiful light pink shade. To make the lip gloss, first take the required amount of homemade Vaseline in a bowl and mix it well with a spoon to get a smooth mixture.
Now take a fresh beetroot, peel the outer skin and cut it into chunks. Grind it in a mixer without any water and extract the juice by squeezing the ground beetroot through a strainer. Add the beetroot juice to the Vaseline drop by drop till you get the desired shade. Add a few drops of pure vanilla to it. You can even add few drops of vitamin e oil too, if you prefer. Please make sure that you don’t make the lip gloss runny. Since we are using fresh extracts, the lip gloss has to be kept in the refrigerator.
If you don’t mind using good quality food colors, please do so. If you don’t use fresh extracts, you don’t have to keep it in the refrigerator. However make sure that you keep the homemade lip gloss away from moisture and you can also your own favorite essential oils instead of using pure vanilla. This lip gloss can be safely used by young girls, as it does not have any chemicals in it and it is also a great project to do with them. Have fun making your own homemade lip gloss!
Easy Natural Homemade Lip Gloss Recipe
1. I used my homemade Vaseline as my base.
2. Take a fresh beetroot and peel the outer skin. Cut it into small chunks and grind it in a mixer without adding any water. Squeeze out the juice by pressing it through a sieve.
2. Take the required amount of homemade Vaseline in a bowl, add the beetroot juice drop by drop till you get the desired color. If you add too much of the juice, the lip gloss will be too runny, so add it drop by drop.
3. Add few drops of your favorite essential oils. I added pure vanilla. Again be careful and add only few drops.
4. Mix everything together well and store it in a tightly capped bottle in the refrigerator.
- The only thing that can go wrong with this homemade lip gloss is if you add too much of the extract. If you do so, try to keep it in the refrigerator, it will thicken it a bit.
- You can also try out extracts for different shades from fruits like strawberries, raspberries, etc