Melanin is the pigment that gives our skin it’s color and they are produced by melanocytes. Hyperpigmentation is the result of excessive production of melanin resulting in dark spots, age spots, freckles, melasma and liver spots. Hyperpigmentation can appear in very small areas like dark spots or it can also appear in large areas.
1. Sun Exposure:
2. Skin Inflammation:
Some of the treatments available for hyperpigmentation are
- Photo facial which is light based treatment that improves collagen production and reduces dark and brown spots.
- Chemical peels in which chemicals are applied to skin to peel off the existing skin layer. The regenerated skin layer is smooth and is supposed to be free of hyperpigmentation.
- Laser peels in which laser is used to lighten the dark area and finally there is topical skin lightening creams and potions.
But these treatment should be done under expert guidance else it could cause more harm than good. Finally there are natural home remedies that is made with natural skin lightening ingredients.
Some of the most commonly used skin lightening ingredients are licorice powder, Aloe Vera, turmeric powder, potato juice, lemon juice, rice water and sandalwood.
I have given some of the remedies using these ingredients down, use them regularly to see good results. The time it takes for the pigmentation to fade will vary from person to person and we have to be regular with the treatments else we will not see results.
5 Top Natural Home Remedies To Treat Hyperpigmentation:
1. Rice Water For Hyperpigmentation:
Take 1 tbsp of pure sandalwood powder in a bowl. Add in enough rice water to form a paste and apply as a face pack.
2. Turmeric Powder For Hyper Pigmentation:
Take wild turmeric powder in a bowl. Add in enough milk to form a paste and apply as a face pack.
3. Potato & Lemon Juice For Hyperpigmentation:
Take 1 potato, peel the outer skin and grate it using a fine grater. Now take the grated potato in a strainer and press to extract the juice completely. Add in equal quantities of lemon juice and apply.
4. Licorice For Hyperpigmentation:
Take licorice powder in a bowl, add in equal quantity of rice powder and turmeric powder. Now squeeze in lemon juice to form a paste and use a face pack.
5. Aloe Vera For Hyperpigmentation:
Take 1 tsp Aloe Vera gel, add in 1/2 tsp besan and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder in a bowl and apply as a face pack. This is a wonderful remedy to lighten dark spots and black spots in the face.