Jujube fruit also called as Indian Dates, Chinese dates, Red Dates, Korean Dates is not a very common fruit sold in shops here in India but it is easily available if you look for it. It’s botanical name is Ziziphus Jujuba and belongs to the Buckthorn family.
There is a jujube tree in my parent’s farm that produces ample fruits that are beautiful red color. I have very very fond childhood memories with jujube fruit. Here in Tamil Nadu, we make a wonderful sweet called Elantha Vadai with it. You will rarely find a person who does not love and cherish elantha vadai here in Tamil Nadu, I completely adore it.
When I was little, we were not allowed to buy elantha vadai from the shops at all because usually most of the fruits have small worms and it has to be cleaned properly. My mom felt that store bought elantha vadai from local shops will not be cleaned properly of the worms. In our village we have only one small shop and it used to (even now it does) stock elanth vadai in small packets regularly.
I was so fond of elanthai vadai that I used to save my pocket money for sneaking to buy those packets without knowing to my parents. Once my mom found out that I was regularly buying elantha vadai from the shops, she started making them at home and I have to tell you elantha vadai made at home tastes divine and of course has wonderful health benefits too.
Jujube Fruit Common Names:
Jujube Fruit Nutrition:
Jujube Fruit Medicinal Uses:
1. Anti Cancer Properties:
2. Prevents Neuro Toxicity:
3. Anti Obesity:
4. Antioxidant Properties:
5. For Pediatric Infectious Diseases:
Jujube fruits have wonderful anti microbial properties and has been clinically proven to help prevent infections in children. It is especially useful in children who are under going chemotherapy, as they have very low immunity who are under going chemotherapy and are susceptible to infections.
It amazed me how a simple unassuming fruit can save so many young innocent children who are already going through very difficult time with cancer treatments from falling ill. You can read the study that proves it here.
Jujube Side Effects:
How To Consume Jujube Fruit:
Along with the above said medicinal uses, jujube fruit also treats constipation and reduces anxiety. It also improves digestion. Here in our place we mainly consume the fruit in the form of elantha vadai but in some countries jujube tea is famous.
It is made by boiling the dried jujube fruit along with spices like ginger and cardamom. Jujube honey is an other famous preparation done in certain parts of the world. I have given the recipe for making elantha vadai | regi vadiyalu at home below.
1. Collect fresh fruits and wash it well under running water, drain the water completely and spread on a cloth to dry the fruits completely.
2. Split each fruit to see if there are any worms. The worms are small and white in color so you have to be patient and look carefully in each fruit. It is a long process but so worth it..:)
3. Mash the fruits with hands completely.
3. Take dried red chillies, asafoetida and salt in a mortar and pestle and pound it to get a coarse powder.
4. Take jaggery and pound it in a mortar and pestle to help mix easily….
5. Add the pounded red chilli mixture and jaggery to the mashed jujube fruit and mix really really well.
6. Make small balls, flatten it with hands and spread on a polythene sheet and sun dry till crisp.
- The amount of jaggery, red chillies to be added is individual preference.
- We do the whole process in a mortar and pestle.
- Checking for worms is the most time consuming otherwise you can do this very healthy sweet fast.