Methi water also called as fenugreek water is one of the best and easy herbal decoctions that we can make at home. This simple decoction has amazing health benefits and medicinal uses and we use it extensively in our home. It is used for aiding weight loss and reducing high cholesterol and blood sugar levels. We also use it in hair and skin care too.
Last week, my uncle who is a diabetic patient shared his experience after drinking methi water. After being diagnosed as a diabetic, my uncle had started consuming methi water everyday morning immediately after he got up. Within a month of drinking methi water, when he went for his monthly sugar test, his sugar level had significantly dropped that even the doctor was surprised.
Now since all my relatives know that I am recording home remedies, they usually call me and share their experiences especially if they try out a new remedy or a herb. Though we don’t drink methi water regularly in our place, using methi water to treat various diseases is very common. It is used to treat variety of problems like diabetes, cough, acid reflux, etc.
What Is Methi Water?
Methi is the Hindi name for fenugreek and methi water is nothing but fenugreek seeds steeped in hot water. When we steep it in hot water, the water will turn yellow in color and all the essence of fenugreek seeds will be infused into the water. The water tastes slightly bitter but has wonderful benefits.
Methi Water Health Benefits:
1. Methi Water For Weight Loss:
Methi extract has been proven to inhibit fat accumulation and has been proven to have anti obesity properties. Methi seeds greatly reduces plasma triglyceride gain and you can read the study that supports this claim here. If you are planning to lose weight, try to include methi water weekly twice in your diet.
2. Methi Water For Hair:
3. Methi Water For Skin:
4. Methi Water For High Cholesterol:
5. Methi Water For Diabetes:
6. Methi Water For Ulcer:
Methi Water Side Effects:
3 Top Ways To Make Methi Water?
- We can make methi water in 3 ways. The first method is by boiling the methi seeds in water. For that, take 1/ 2 tsp of methi seeds and boil it in a cup of water and once the colour of the water changes, switch off and strain.
- Simply soak a tsp of methi seeds in a cup of water overnight and drink that water.
- Boil a cup of water and pour it over 1/2 tsp of methi seeds and let it steep for 2 hours and then strain.
- Diabetic patients can choose any one of the three methods mentioned above, all will work well.
- If you crush the seeds before soaking, the water will be very very bitter.
- If you feel the water is very very bitter and find it very difficult to drink, add little bit of jaggery (not recommended for diabetic patients).
- The left over methi seeds can be ground and used in hair packs.