Onion hair oil is one of the best hair oils that we can make at home as it has amazing hair benefits. Here in our village, we use onions extensively for hair care. Onions have anti bacterial properties that treats all problems of the scalp really well and it is also one of the best home remedies for treating bald spots and promoting hair growth.
How Do Onions Help in Hair Growth?
Onions are rich in sulfur which greatly prevents hair thinning as lack of sulfur has been proven to be one of the reasons for hair fall. We apply onion juice directly on the scalp to treat certain scalp infections.
We extract the onion juice by pounding the small onions in a mortar and pestle and then take the pounded paste in a strainer and press with a spoon to extract the juice. We also make onion hair oil and use it as a pre-shampoo treatment to treat scalp problems.
Homemade Onion Hair Oil:
This oil helps with hair regrowth, arrests hair loss and regular use results in long thick hair and it is also so very easy to make at home and has amazing hair benefits.
This oil is made with only 2 ingredients – small onions also called as shallots and unrefined sesame oil and if made properly will store well for about 6 to 8 months at room temperature.
In our village we usually make this hair oil with small onions and I would recommend the same to you too as small onions have more medicinal properties than big onions.
Onion Oil Hair Benefits:
- Onions have anti bacterial properties thus greatly preventing scalp infections, it treats scalp itching and dandruff really well.
- Onion also have anti inflammatory properties and this onion hair oil reduces inflammation of the scalp.
- Onions have antioxidant properties and this oil greatly reduces premature greying.
- It strengthens the hair roots thus greatly reducing hair fall.
- It is great for preventing spot baldness and you can read the study that supports this claim here.
How To Make Onion Hair Oil For Hair Growth & To Stop Hair Loss:
This oil is great for people who hate to use raw onion juice directly on the scalp. I find it extremely hard to apply raw onion juice directly on the scalp but this onion hair oil is so easy to use and very effective….
1. Take 1/4 cup of small onions also called as shallots and peel the outer brown skin.
2. Take the peeled onions in a mortar and pestle and pound coarsely. Pounding helps onions release it’s essence into the oil faster.
3. Take the pounded onions and 1 cup of unrefined sesame oil in an iron pan and start heating.
4. Once we start heating small bubbles will start appearing. Continue heating making sure to stir once in a while. As the heat increases the bubbling and spluttering also will increase and will reach its peak.
5. Continue heating and slowly the bubbles and the spluttering will start reducing indicating that the water content in the onions have fully evaporated. Make sure not to burn the onions.
6. Once the spluttering sound stops, switch off, cool and strain. Weekly once, warm the oil and massage it all over the scalp. Wait for an hour to let the onion hair oil soak into the scalp and wash it off using a mild shampoo.