If you have never used bath powders/ kuliyal podi/ sunni pindi before, then you might be wondering, why I am praising bath powders so much. I am so used to bath powders from very young age and trust me they smell, feel better than any store bought soaps. Many people find using powders to wash their skin very odd, but these home made bath powders clean the skin well and does not strip the skin of natural oils.
The ingredients in homemade bath powders treats existing minor skin diseases and prevents the skin from further infections. Once you start using homemade bath powders, you will never be able to stop using them. This rose petal bath powder is very fragrant and should be made in peak summer. This bath powder has green gram dal, wild turmeric, white turmeric/ poolan kilangu and dried rose petals.
Rose petals reduces wrinkles and prevents the skin from sun damage. Wild turmeric is called “kasturi manjal” in Tamil and it is very fragrant than normal turmeric. We use kasturi manjal for most of our skin preparations, as it reduces blemishes and pimples. Green gram dal is a very good natural body cleaner and it keeps our body cool. White turmeric (Zedoary) is called ” Poolan kilangu” in Tamil. It helps in healing any damage to the skin and prevents infections.
To make this powder, first collect pesticide free roses, remove the petals and sun dry them till completely dry. Take the measured out green gram dal, white turmeric/ poolan kilangu, wild turmeric in a wide plate and sun dry it for a day. We usually use the dried varieties of both the turmerics. Add the dried rose petals to the dried mixture and powder them finely in a mixer. Sieve the mixture and store it. To use, take the required amount of powder and mix it with water to make a paste. Scoop the mixture and rub it all over the body like soap and wash it off. You will find great difference in your skin texture if you use this bath powder regularly.
Indian Homemade Rose Petal Bath Powder
1. Collect fresh roses, remove the petals and spread it on a plate.
2. Sun dry the rose petals till they are crisp.
3. Sun dry green gram dal, white turmeric/ poolan kilangu, wild turmeric in the sun for a day.
4. Add the sun dried rose petals to it and powder it finely in a mixer.
5. Store the homemade bath powder in an airtight box.
- I used paneer variety roses for this bath powder.
- This bath powder can be mixed with milk during winter time, if you feel your skin is very dry.
- Sun drying the ingredients till crisp is very important, else the powder will spoil easily.
- Although white turmeric/ poolan kilangu, wild turmeric and green gram dal are in their dried form , drying them in sun makes it easy to grind it finely.