This is a home remedy that my mom used to use regularly. When she was younger she used to regularly get this infection in the throat, which was not painful but made talking very difficult. We call it “Thondaikattu” in Tamil. My mother said, she was even unable to utter a word when she got this problem. She said that she was asked to do this home remedy and surprisingly each time she used it the problem went away. Over the years, the problem has diminished and completely stopped. I completely forgot that she even had the problem.
My mom reminded me yesterday to record it in the blog, so others experiencing the same problem can benefit out of it. This remedy calls for sunnambu/ slaked lime and honey. Sunnambu is called “Slaked Lime” in English and it is very cheaply available every where. It has amazing benefits. In other countries it is commonly called “Pickling lime”. In Southern India people use slaked lime along with betel leaf/ paan leaf and betel nut.
They chew on it after their lunch, to freshen the breath and aid digestion. In Northern India it is commonly called”Paan choona/ Chuna lime”. Slaked lime is available as a thick paste in small containers in India and in many countries they use it in food preparations. To make this remedy, take the required amount of slaked lime in a bowl and add honey to it. Rub it in circular motion to mix both together.
You will find the mixture getting hot, now apply this mixture over your throat. Wait till it gets dry before washing off. You can do this daily till you get good relief from infection. This paste has to used immediately once it is mixed, for it to be effective. Another thing I noted was, if you use slaked lime that was kept opened, it doesn’t heat up when mixed with honey, so try to use fresh slaked lime. Here in my village, we get small sachets of slaked lime and it is quite convenient to use it. This paste can’t be stored, so mix only the required amount each time you want to use it.
Slaked Lime – Home Remedy For Throat Infection:
1. Open a fresh packet of slaked lime in small bowl.
2. Add honey to it. The mixture will look look very lumpy and will have a dull brown color.
3. Mix it nicely with your hands to break the lumps. You will be able to feel the heat in your hands. Immediately apply this paste all over the throat. It dries very quickly and can be washed off. By the time I could picture this photo, it had set.
- Using fresh slaked lime will make it easier for one to rub the paste apart from being very effective.
- Try using good quality honey.
- You can use this remedy once every day, to get good relief.
- The amount of honey varies according to the freshness of slaked lime.