I love spinach and try to include it often in my diet and one of the ways I consume it is in the form of spinach juice. It has amazing health benefits if consumed regularly. The scientific name of spinach is Spinacia Oleracea, it belongs to the Amaranthaceae family and genus Spinacia.
Spinach Common Names:
We call it Palak in Hindi, Pasalai Keerai | Palak Keerai in Tamil, Palakura in Telugu, Vasala Cheera in Malayalam, Basale Soppu in Kannada, Palak in Punjabi and Palang Sag in Bengali.
Spinach Juice Nutrition:
Spinach juice is in vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9 along with significant amounts of vitamin C, K and E. It is also rich in minerals like manganese, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and sodium.
Spinach Juice Health Benefits:
1. Spinach juice Anti Cancer properties:
Spinach juice is rich in flavonoids. Foods high in beta carotene and vitamin A like spinach juice reduces the risk of breast, prostate and colon cancers.
2. Spinach juice Antioxidant & Anti Inflammatory Properties:
Raw spinach is full of antioxidants and consuming it regularly will help improve immunity. Spinach juice also reduces inflammation and is good to take while suffering from any kind of inflammation.
3. Spinach Juice For gastric Problems:
Spinach juice is good for wound healing especially stomach ulcers. It also has a soothing effect on the stomach. You can read the study that proves it here.
4. Spinach Juice For Hair:
I have been always been advised from my young age to consume spinach so I could have thick hair. Spinach juice is rich in vitamin B, C, E, magnesium, iron, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids all very essential for hair growth and for arresting hair loss.
5. For Skin:
Spinach is rich in antioxidants and consuming spinach juice regularly will greatly prevent free radicals which is the main cause for premature skin ageing. Raw spinach juice both when taken internally and applied externally will help.
To apply externally take 1 tbsp of besan and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder in a bowl. Add enough spinach juice to form a paste and apply as a face pack. Regular use of this face pack will result in fair and glowing skin and will greatly prevent acne too.
6. For Eye Health:
Spinach juice is rich in antioxidants that protects the eyes and especially lutein present in spinach juice prevents age related macular degeneration of the eyes.
7. Spinach For Weight Loss:
Spinach juice is low in calories, fat and high in nutrients, perfect for including it in a weight loss diet. Spinach juice made with 100 gms of raw spinach has around 23 calories and less than .4 gm of fat.
8. For Bone Health:
Spinach is a good source of vitamin K which is essential for healthy bones. Regularly consuming spinach juice will ensure that we maintain our bone mass and to a great extent will prevent osteoporosis.
9. For Reducing Blood Pressure:
Spinach juice is rich in nitrite and increase intake of nitrate rich food increases circulating nitrite and nitric oxide which results in reduction in blood pressure. You can read the research that supports this claim here.
10. Spinach Juice For Immunity:
Since it is rich in vitamin C, it will help improve immunity and will greatly help prevent common health problems like cold and cough. Spinach juice can be consumed by diabetic patients and can be given even to children too but make sure to use organic spinach.
Side Effects Of Spinach Juice:
Raw spinach contains iron inhibiting substance called oxalic acid so it is best to consume cooked spinach for treating anemia. If you are consuming raw spinach juice, I would suggest taking it along with iron absorption enhancers like amla, lemon or orange like in the spinach juice recipe given below.
Spinach is rich in purines and if you are suffering from gout and kidney stones avoid consuming spinach in large quantities. If you are taking anticoagulant medications, spinach might interfere with it….
How To Make Spinach Juice At Home?
1. Take spinach and coriander leaves, wash and drain excess water.
2. Fry cumin seeds and peppercorns in a dry pan till they change color and give out a nice aroma.
3. Now powder them both in a mortar and pestle.
4. Take the coriander and spinach in a mixer, add in powdered cumin and peppercorns along with a dash of lemon juice.
5. Finally add in enough water or coconut water and grind to a smooth mixture and strain. Your wonderful spinach juice is ready…
- Since we add lemon juice in this recipe, it will help with iron absorption too.
- I add coriander leaves as it gives a nice flavor to the juice, you can substitute it with mint leaves too…
- Drink this juice immediately and if you make it with coconut water, it will increase the taste and nutrient value of this spinach juice.