Vetiver is a perennial grass and it is native to India. Vetiver is also called “Khus” in Northern India and it is very popular there. Vetiver grass is grown for it’s many uses. It is used to control soil erosion, offer crop protection from pests, roots are used to make mats and in perfumery, etc.
In the west, vetiver is famous for it’s essential oil. “Khus syrup” made from the roots of vetiver is famous in India. Vetiver is also used for it’s medical properties in India. We use vetiver root to make vetiver water. Vetiver water is very cooling. It helps to cure painful urination, ulcers and bad breath.
This aromatic water has a calming effect on the nerves and regular intake of this water helps in general well being and it acts as a blood purifier. Traditionally vetiver water is always made in clay pots. To make vetiver water, Take a bunch of vetiver root and place it in the bottom of clay pots.
Pour cooled, boiled water on top the vetiver root and cover the pot for at least 2 to 3 hrs. After 2 to 3 hrs, the vetiver essence would have infused into the water. Now take a lime cut into thin slices and add the slices to the water.
You can strain the water while drinking. This vetiver water is very cooling and refreshing. This vetiver water is always made during hot summer months and I have to add that I really love this aromatic vetiver water.
How to Make Vetiver Water (Khus Water) from Vetiver Roots!
1. This is dried vetiver root and you can get it very easily anywhere in India. Take the required amount of vetiver, twist the root and make it into a bundle.
2. Take a clay pot, wash it and place the vetiver bundle inside the pot.
3. Fill the pot with boiled, cooled water. Cover and let it sit for few hours.
4. After 3 to 4 hrs, slice a lemon into thin slices and add them to the pot. You can strain the water, while drinking.
- The amount of vetiver to be added is individual choice. But this water is very aromatic, so add vetiver according to your taste.
- Always use clay pots, especially during summer months as it also helps to keep the body cool.
- This water also helps in painful urination.
- Vetiver is a natural water purifier and I was surprised to learn that a study in USA found that vetiver can remove antibiotics from water, by absorbing it into it’s plant tissue.