In India, during peak summer, you will find street vendors selling natural cooling drinks like kamban kool, spiced buttermilk, jigirthanda, nannari sherbet, etc. All these drinks are very good for the health and have been consumed in India for years. Last summer, I was talking to a street vendor who was very upset that his business was dwindling.
He said the main reason was because people prefer cola drinks over the traditional drinks. Even I felt very sad and upset because these traditional drinks are very healthy and much cheaper than the fancy cola drinks that does nothing but give us empty calories.
It is high time, we introduce our kids to our traditional drinks and explain to them the health benefits of these drinks. I love all the traditional drinks and this nannari sherbet made from nannari root is one of my favorites and I absolutely love the smell of nanari root. We mainly use nannari root for making a syrup /sherbet out of the roots which is very popular in India.
Nannari Root Health Benefits:
1. Body coolant:
2. Blood purifier:
3. Urinary infection:
5. For Digestion:
How To Make Nannari Syrup?
1. These are nannari roots. They are brownish colored roots with a whitish middle part.
2. The whitish middle part has to be removed, before using it.
3. First wash the roots well at least 2 to 3 times to remove the dirt.
4. Pound the roots in a mortar and pestle and remove the inner white part separately.
5. Pound the outer brownish skin to make it into small pieces. Boil the measured out water in a pan and pour over the pieces, close with a lid and leave it overnight.
6. The next day, strain the syrup using a cloth, I used my jaggery stainer, which has got two layers of cloth.
7. Add the jaggery to the strained syrup and boil it. Once the jaggery melts, strain to remove impurities and boil again until it reaches one string consistency. Add the lemon juice and switch off.
8. Let the syrup cool and then store it in glass bottles in the refrigerator. To use, take around 2 tbsp of the syrup on a bowl and add the required amount of chilled water and mix, your nannari sherbet is ready!
- Make sure to check for one string consistency, when boiling the syrup.
- You can either use palm candy or jaggery.
- Remove the white part inside completely, before making the syrup.
- The outer pieces has to pounded really well, as it releases the essence better.
- Make sure to strain using a double layer mesh or you can fold a muslin cloth and use it as a strainer.