Coconut shampoos have amazing hair benefits. Coconut shampoos are of three types, they are coconut milk shampoo, coconut oil shampoo and coconut water shampoo. They help promote fast hair growth, arrest hair loss, treat dandruff and head lice. Coconut shampoos can be used on curly hair, thinning hair, fine hair, colored hair, black hair and even on African American hair.
At home, we mostly use natural powders like arappu for hair wash but when we are in a hurry, we prefer to use homemade shampoos and I always love to add coconut milk in the recipe as it leaves my hair smooth and soft. Nowadays we get coconut cream also in the markets, you can also use that instead of coconut milk to make coconut cream shampoo too.
What Is Coconut Shampoo?
Coconut shampoos are shampoos made with coconut based products as a base mixed along with shampoo base. Usually we get coconut oil shampoo, coconut milk and coconut water shampoos in the markets and there are loads of store bought coconut shampoos to choose from. But most of them are chemical based shampoos, I would suggest making your own coconut shampoos. We can easily make coconut shampoos at home with natural shampoo base.
Coconut Shampoo Hair Benefits:
- Coconut shampoos really helps with hair growth along with treating almost all scalp problems. If your hair is dry, damaged and brittle, coconut shampoos will greatly help soften it.
- If you are experiencing severe hair fall, I would highly suggest using coconut based shampoos regularly, it will greatly help stop hair fall as it helps strengthen the hair roots. Especially my homemade coconut milk shampoo made with coconut milk will greatly help prevent hair fall.
- Coconut shampoos are wonderful for promoting hair growth and trust me, when you add it to shampoo in the form of either coconut milk, coconut oil or coconut water, it softens our hair really well and will make it strong, super silky and soft.
- Coconut shampoos made with teat tree oil helps prevent head lice. Many kids suffer from head lice and if you use coconut shampoo made with tea tree oil, it will both keep their hair strong and also free off head lice.
- Coconut shampoos also prevent dandruff, all the ingredients used for the shampoo prevent and treat dandruff, they also help treat scalp itchiness and excessive greasiness too.
Coconut Shampoo Base Recipe:
This coconut base shampoo recipe can be used to make coconut milk shampoo, coconut oil shampoo and coconut water shampoo with slight variations. Coconut shampoo base recipe has only four ingredients – coconut milk or coconut water, aloe vera gel, liquid castile soap and an essential oil. The reason I like this shampoo base so much is because you can modify it easily to suit every hair type.
I have used aloe vera gel that is free of colour and perfume but you can also use fresh aloe vera gel too. We don’t get liquid castile soap easily in India but you can easily order it online. Castile soap is a natural soap base that is usually made with olive oil as a base and I would highly recommend it over chemical based shampoos. It cleans the hair amazingly well and can be used for kids.
1. Take one and half tablespoons of freshly extracted coconut milk or coconut water in a cup. Add in 3 tablespoons of liquid Castile soap to it.
2. Add in a teaspoon of aloe vera gel that is free of colour and perfume. Now mix well to get a smooth mixture.
3. Finally add in two to three drops of peppermint essential oil to the mixture and mix well. I have used peppermint essential oil as it promotes very fast hair growth but you can also use rosemary essential oil too. Some of you were asking me remedies for treating head lice. For treating head lice, you can add in tea tree essential oil, it’s very very effective.
3 Must Try Coconut Shampoo Recipes:
1. Coconut Milk Shampoo For Dry Hair:
For coconut milk shampoo follow the same recipe using coconut milk. To make coconut milk, take freshly grated coconut in a mixer along with very little water. Grind coarsely and take it in a strainer and press with a spoon to extract the coconut milk. To make coconut milk, take freshly grated coconut in a mixer along with very little water. Grind coarsely and take it in a strainer and press with a spoon to extract the coconut milk. I’ve used one part coconut milk to two parts liquid Castile soap but you can vary this proportion to suit your hair type. Try different proportions and stick with the one that you like. I reserve little bit of coconut milk while making curries and store it in the fridge and use it while making this shampoo.
2. Coconut Water Shampoo For Oily Hair:
For coconut water shampoo follow the same recipe but instead of coconut milk, use fresh coconut water instead. This shampoo is very good for oily hair and is very very hydrating. Since I live in a coconut farm, I prefer to use fresh coconut water but if you don’t have access to fresh coconut water, you can use bottled coconut water too. This shampoo can be used by both adults and kids but for kids under two years, skip the essential oil. Usually I prefer to mix this shampoo just before having my hair wash. If you want to make and store the shampoo, you can store it in the refrigerator, it lasts well for a few days.
3. Coconut Oil Shampoo For Very Dry & Damaged Hair:
Most of us do chemical treatments regularly and it leaves our hair, dry, brittle and prone to hair breakage easily. One of my cousins got a perm done and her beautiful curly hair turned really really dry and she started experiencing hair fall too. Even I was surprised how much the texture of her hair changed but she started taking care of her hair with homemade treatments and it greatly helped. If you have done chemical treatments on your hair, I would suggest two things, doing hot oil treatments regularly and using coconut based shampoos. For coconut oil shampoo, follow the coconut milk shampoo recipe but add 1/2 tsp of virgin coconut oil too. This shampoo will leave your hair soft and smooth.