We can make really good homemade facial toners at home. All you need is a little time to collect the herbs and interest to make it. This homemade toner made without alcohol is very easy to make and it’s good for treating oily skin, open pores and acne. You can add your favorite herbs to this toner and customize it to suit your preference. I like to add a little bit of alum to the toner along with the herbs, as alum is very effective in treating acne.
Alum commonly called shaving alum, can be got cheaply everywhere. If you have got it in a block form, powder it finely in a mortar and pestle to get the powder. I have chosen holy basil leaves for making the toner, as it is also very effective for acne prone skin. But just use any fresh herb that you like, some good choices are fresh neem leaves, mint leaves and even lemon leaves will work great. This toner stays well in the refrigerator for a week.
It greatly helps in reducing and preventing acne on the skin, if used regularly. Making this toner is a breeze, if you have the fresh herbs at hand. To make it, first boil the water with the alum powder. Once it has dissolved, add the fresh holy basil/ tulsi leaves. Let it steep in the water till the water cools down, now strain the water and discard the herbs. To the strained water, add a few drops of glycerin and your homemade toner is ready!
Adding glycerine leaves your skin soft and smooth. But don’t add too much though, just a few drops will go a long way. To use, take a cotton ball and dip it in the solution and use it both on the face and the neck. You can also use a combination of herbs instead of just one too. For me, it is always holy basil. Nothing can beat holy basil, when it comes to fighting of acne and keeping the skin blemish free.
Homemade Toner Recipe:
1. This is alum and in India, we get it in blocks.
2. Break a small piece of the alum and powder it in a mortar and pestle.
3. Boil water in a pan along with the alum. Once it comes to a boil, add the holy basil leaves and switch off. Close with a lid, the water will turn a light green color.
4. Once the water has cooled down, strain the mixture and add a few drops of glycerin to it. Your homemade toner, that is very effective in preventing acne is ready!
- Try to use fresh herbs for best results.
- Try to pick herbs that fight of acne like neem, lemon leaves, etc.
- Store the left overs in the refrigerator.
- This toner smells of holy basil, which I really like.