Celery which closely resembles our coriander is a plant has amazing health benefits and is definitely a plant we should get to know. You will be surprised to know that celery was first collected for medicinal purposes from the wild and also celery seeds have been used in ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years! Then later on once it was introduced into daily cooking like soups, salads and juices, people started growing celery widely.
Celery Common Names:
Celery is the English name and the botanical name is Apium Graveolens. Celery is called Ajmoda | Ajmod in Hindi, Gujarati & Marathi, Amod in Telugu, Aaaj mood in Bengali, Sivari Keerai in Tamil, Ajmud in Punjabi and Gudda Sompina Elagalu in Kannada. If you know the names of celery in Urdu and Malayalam, I will be very happy if you can answer in the comment section below. The problem with celery seeds in India is it is confused with ajwain seeds (Trachyspermum Ammi) and radhuni seeds (Trachyspermum Roxburghianum), if in doubt always use the botanical name.
The celery seeds, leaves and the stem all are rich in essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients especially vitamin K, manganese, potassium, fiber and vitamin B5. In fact celery juice (recipe below) is one of the best electrolyte drinks that can be made at home.
Celery Medicinal Uses:
1. Celery For Weight Loss:
Celery is very low in calories but high in nutrients and fiber which is the main reason that celery makes it to almost all the weight loss diet charts. Instead of consuming low fat packaged foods that has zero nutrition, it is better to substitute it with real low fat fresh greens that is high in nutrition like celery leaves and stems.
2. Celery For High Blood Pressure:
Celery leaf lowers blood pressure and this has been proven through clinical research, you can read about it here.
If you are suffering high blood pressure, try drinking celery juice often, it will greatly help bring down the blood pressure.
3. Celery For Cholesterol:
Celery leaf extract also lowers LDL cholesterol along with blood pressure and you can read the study given above. Celery leaf extract which is nothing but celery juice if had regularly, will greatly bring down high cholesterol levels.
4. Celery For Diabetes:
Celery seeds extract is very effective in treating hyperglycemia and you can read the research that proves it here.
Celery seed extract reduces atrophy, inflammation and cell injury caused due to diabetes. Celery seeds can be taken in the form of tea.
5. Celery For Arthritis:
Celery has anti inflammatory properties and the stem extract which is commonly consumed in the form of juice possesses anti inflammatory properties and has been proved through research too.
6. Celery For Gout:
Traditionally celery seed extract has been used to treat gout, a painful condition which is caused due to build up of uric acid in the joints. Since celery has anti inflammatory properties it greatly helps with the pain.
7. Celery Seeds For Indigestion:
Celery seeds are great for treating indigestion and flatulence. For the remedy, celery seeds can be taken in the form of tea along with a pinch of black salt or you can sweeten with jaggery too.
8. Celery Seeds for Fluid Retention:
Celery seeds has diuretic properties which greatly helps people suffering from water retention. But since celery seeds has diuretic properties, we should drink more water when taking celery seeds.
9. Celery For Respiratory Problems:
Celery seeds have anti spasmodic properties and celery seed tea can be used to treat all respiratory problems very effectively. If you are suffering from any respiratory problems, sipping a cup of warm celery tea will greatly help.
10. Celery Seed Oil For Stress:
Celery seed oil is very calming and is a good remedy for stress. Try incorporating celery seed oil into massage oils, it will greatly act as a stress buster. Celery stems can be consumed as a juice, the seeds in the form of tea, celery leaves can be added to salads and the celery oil can be used for massage and for inhaling.
Celery Side Effects:
Pregnant women should not consume celery seeds as it is a diuretic. The seeds are also best avoided in children below 2 years. Some people may be allergic to the seeds, if you experience discomfort while taking please discontinue use…
How To Make Celery Juice:
1. Always select celery stalks that are firm, of medium thickness and it should also snap easily. Wash under running water, remove the leaves (use in salads) and the root and cut the stem into small pieces.
2. If using a juicer add a cut apple and celery stalks into the juicer and juice directly, makes things so much easier. You can make it in blender too. Peel a fresh apple, cut and add to the celery stalks, since celery stalks taste bland, adding apples to the recipe makes it taste good. The apples were looking fresh and beautiful, had to take a picture…:)
3. Add black salt or kala namak to taste, add required water and puree everything together in a blender.
4. Strain using a soup strainer..
4. Drink immediately. To make the celery seed tea, slightly pound 1scant tsp of celery seeds and take it in a glass. Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water, close with a lid and let it steep for 15 minutes before straining.
- This juice can be made in a juicer very quickly without adding any water…
- This simple juice is full of antioxidants and is high in nutrients, perfect as a sports drink too.
- Fresh celery is called celery allover India and can be got in almost all the vegetable shops in the cities.
- But the seeds are the ones which are confused with ajwain seeds and radhuni which is widely used in Bengali cuisine. Radhuni is also one among the 5 plants that is called wild celery but celery seeds and radhuni seeds are different.
- I had a very hard time finding the names of celery in different languages as both radhuni and celery seeds go by the same name in many places. If I am wrong with the names please do correct me…
- The celery seeds are diuretic so always make sure to drink plenty of water while consuming it.
- You can also use celery seed extract instead of celery seed tea, I have given the links for buying celery extracts, tea and oils online…..