Celery Common Names:
Celery is the English name and the botanical name is Apium Graveolens. Celery is called Ajmoda | Ajmod in Hindi, Gujarati & Marathi, Amod in Telugu, Aaaj mood in Bengali, Sivari Keerai in Tamil, Ajmud in Punjabi and Gudda Sompina Elagalu in Kannada.
If you know the names of celery in Urdu and Malayalam, I will be very happy if you can answer in the comment section below. The problem with celery seeds in India is it is confused with ajwain seeds (Trachyspermum Ammi) and radhuni seeds (Trachyspermum Roxburghianum), if in doubt always use the botanical name.
Celery Health Benefits & Medicinal Uses:
1. Celery For Weight Loss:
2. Celery Benefits For High Blood Pressure:
3. Celery For Cholesterol:
4. Celery For Diabetes:
5. Celery Benefits For Arthritis:
6. Celery Benefits For Gout:
7. Celery Seeds For Indigestion:
8. Celery Seeds for Fluid Retention:
9. Celery For Respiratory Problems:
10. Celery Seed Oil For Stress:
Celery Side Effects:
Pregnant women should not consume celery seeds as it is a diuretic. The seeds are also best avoided in children below 2 years. Some people may be allergic to the seeds, if you experience discomfort while taking please discontinue use. Celery leaf allergy is very serious, A 28 year old women with celery allergy experienced anaphylactic shock after consuming fresh celery.
In an another case a 36 year old female patient came to the hospital with blurred vision, palpitation and nausea. She was consuming 8 gram of celery extract in powder form a day for reducing weight. She developed hyperthyroidism and allergic reaction after celery extract consumption.
Celery juice can interact with certain medications. If you are taking blood thinner medications make sure to mention it to your physician before consuming celery juice on a regular basis.
3 Top Ways To Use Celery:
1. Celery Seed Tea:
To make Clery seed tea, take a tsp of celery seeds in a cup. Pour boiling water over it and let it steep for 5 minutes. Strain and consume a cup for treating fluid retention.
2. Celery Juice:
To make celery juice, grind celery stalks with water and a carrot or cucumber or an apple in a blender along with water and a pinch of salt and strain. Celery juice is very hydrating and is full of nutrients but limit to one cup a day.
3. Celery Seed Oil Massage:
Take 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl. Add in 6 to 7 drops of carrot seed essential oil and mix well. This oil can be used as a face and body massage oil. This oil is amazing for skin care as it has powerful anti bacterial properties and it also helps reduce inflammation effectively.
- Celery juice can be made in a juicer very quickly without adding any water
- Celery juice is full of antioxidants and is high in nutrients, perfect as a sports drink too.
- Fresh celery is called celery allover India and can be got in almost all the vegetable shops in the cities.
- Celery seeds are generally confused with ajwain seeds and radhuni which is widely used in Bengali cuisine. Radhuni is also one among the 5 plants that is called wild celery but celery seeds and radhuni seeds are different.
- I had a very hard time finding the names of celery in different languages as both radhuni and celery seeds go by the same name in many places. If I am wrong with the names please do correct me.
- The celery seeds are diuretic so always make sure to drink plenty of water while consuming it.
- You can also use celery seed extract instead of celery seed tea, you can buy celery extract, tea and oils online easily.