Neera, a natural drink got from coconut tree has amazing health benefits. Though I live in a coconut farm, I have not bothered to drink neera for a long time. Last week my nephew, who drinks neera regularly, asked me to taste it.
Neera has a sweet taste, but I didn’t like the smell of it, the first time I drank it. The next day, I drank it fresh, when they just brought the neera and I didn’t mind drinking it like the first time.
The trick is to drink it fresh, before it starts fermenting even slightly. Once it ferments, it becomes toddy. If you drink it fresh straight from the tree, there is less of that fermented smell, which is the main reason many people don’t like to drink it.
What Is Neera?
Neera Health Benefits:
- It is rich in minerals and vitamins and is one of the best natural health drinks.
- It is a body cooler and is good for digestion.
- Neera has very low glycemic index, so it does not raise the blood sugar levels like regular fruit juices and even diabetic patients can drink it safely.
- Frequent consumption of neera prevents diseases like jaundice and keeps one healthy.
- It a natural detox drink that does not have any side effects. It is best consumed during summer time. Now you get bottled neera everywhere, so try substituting colas with neera to get all the benefits of this amazing natural drink.
How To Make Neera Drink:
1. Try to drink the fresh coconut neera as soon as possible, else it will start fermenting.
2. I also love to add few drops of lemon juice to it after leaving it in the refrigerator for some time.
- Don’t drink too much of neera at a single time, it may not agree with you.
- Leave the left over coconut neera in the fridge immediately.