Coconut oil is one of the best ingredients to use for teeth whitening. I make a coconut oil tooth paste at home that whitens my teeth naturally really well. I enjoy making my own products and nothing makes me more happy than using a product that I made it myself from scratch.
The latest addition to that list is this homemade coconut oil toothpaste. Though I have tried homemade tooth powder, I haven’t attempted toothpaste at home before. Tooth paste usage dates back centuries, our ancestors used tooth pastes made from ingredients like charcoal, crushed bones, barks, egg shells, myrrh, etc and overtime we have improved on the recipes to where it is now.
Though we now get a variety of toothpastes in all colors and flavors, the primary usage of toothpaste is to remove plaque which is the main reason for many dental diseases, bad breath and protect and strengthen our teeth. We can remove plaque easily with just coconut oil itself.
Will Coconut Oil Whiten Teeth?
In my personal experience coconut oil whitens teeth well along with treating many dental problems including mouth odour, gingivitis and tooth decay. Especially the homemade coconut oil tooth paste given below does wonders. I usually spend a lot of time searching for a perfect recipe and this time it took unusually long because I was so particular about what I wanted.
Usually homemade tooth paste recipes consist of ingredients like baking soda, coconut oil, essential oils, calcium powder, hydrogen peroxide along with sweeteners like xylitol or stevia. Though xylitol is said to be good for teeth, I didn’t want to have it in my house as it is dangerous for pets.
Pure calcium carbonate powder was hard to get in my local shop so I wanted a recipe that included coconut oil, no sweeteners, only common kitchen ingredients but a recipe that will rival any store bought paste. I tried 3 or 4 recipes and the minute I tried this recipe I knew I will like it which I really did. It smelt really great, had only common kitchen ingredients, cleaned my teeth really well along with leaving my teeth white and shiny.
Coconut Oil Teeth Benefits:
1. Coconut Oil For Gingivitis:
2. Coconut Oil For Bad Breath:
3. Coconut Oil For Cleaning:
4. Coconut Oil For Tooth Decay:
5. Coconut Oil For Teeth Whitening:
Teeth whitening at home is usually done with hydrogen peroxide which causes more harm than good. Though I didn’t expect instant results, surprisingly I felt my teeth whiter and more shiny immediately after using this tooth paste.
This homemade coconut oil tooth paste recipe can be made in a matter of minutes and stores really well too but please follow the exact measurements for best results. Though it looks simple it does work really well…..
How To Make Coconut Oil Tooth Paste?
1. Take 2 cloves in a mortar and pestle and pound to a fine powder.
2. Measure out baking soda, organic Ceylon cinnamon powder, salt and clove powder.
3. Mix everything together well.
4. Add enough coconut oil to form a smooth paste.
5. Store in a glass jar. To use, I use a wooden spoon to scoop the paste onto my brush for brushing the teeth.
- Use Ceylon cinnamon powder as ordinary cinnamon powder might cause burning sensation for some people.
- I use this coconut oil paste weekly twice for whitening my teeth.
- Use the correct measurements for best results, you can double or triple the recipe.
- At first, it might be strange to use a paste that does not foam but you will get used to it.
- This paste smells so refreshing and tastes slightly sweet because of cinnamon and cloves.
- I have used white salt but you can use powdered mineral salts for added benefits….