It is always a big struggle for parents, when it comes to dressing up children for fancy dress competitions. It is even greater struggle when the fancy dress competition involves face paint. It is mainly because many children get allergies with store bought face paints that are made with harsh chemicals. This homemade face paint is very easy to make and the best thing about it is that you can make it with the ingredients that are easily available at home. I have used my homemade cream that is made with almond oil as a base for this recipe. If you don’t have any natural home made cream at home, try any good quality cream that is free of color and perfume. If the child is very young, you can try colors from natural sources, as they might get the paint into their mouths accidentally. For yellow color turmeric powder can be mixed, for pink color fresh beetroot juice can be added, for green color spirulina powder can be added. You can get creative with colors, carrot juice also can be used for orange color. Though it takes some work to grind and mix the colors, you can make a big batch of each paint and store it in the refrigerator. If you are making these for children who are going for competitions, I would suggest safe good quality food colors, as you have a wider choice of colors. Children do waste a lot of paint, with this home made paint you don’t have to worry, as it is very cost effective. To make this home made face paint, mix home made cream and corn starch. I already had a bottle of home made cream with me, so I just used that. I added a few drops of rose essential oil and water to get the desired consistency. I then mixed my food colors to get the desired shade. I also tried turmeric powder for yellow color and beet root juice for the pink color, it came out great. Have fun making this home made paint!
1. This is my home made almond cream, I am using it as a base for this home made face paint.
2. Mix the cream with cornstarch and water without any lumps to get a smooth paste. Add a few drops of any essential oil.
3. Take small amount of the mixture and mix it with desired food colors.
4. If you want to try it with natural colors, try carrot juice for orange color, beetroot juice for pink color, activated charcoal powder for black, spirulina powder for green, etc. Try out different combinations from these base colors.
- Since I have used a thick home made cream, I have added water. If you are using a lotion then adjust the water quantity accordingly.
- Store the left overs in the refrigerator, this is especially important if you are using fresh juices.
- If you are using fresh juices, make sure that it is very thick, else the paint will be very runny.
- Using essential oil is optional, it makes the face paint to smell really great.