I love any thing that is made with fresh rose petals and this gulkand/rose petal jam recipe is no exception. We call it rose gulkand and it has amazing health benefits. 1. Gulkand for health : This rose petal jam is a powerful antioxidant and helps to restore lost health. 2. Gulkand for acidity: Consuming a few teaspoons of gulkand daily helps to reduce stomach acidity. 3. Gulkand for acne: It is also one of the best natural blood purifiers and keeps the skin from break outs and acne 4. Gulkand for irregular periods: Taking a tsp of gulkand regulates irregular periods and prevents excessive bleeding. 5. Gulkand for constipation: It is also a very good digestive tonic and helps to improve the appetite and treats constipation and piles. 6. Gulkand for Mouth ulcers: It treats mouth ulcers very effectively. Consuming gulkand often prevents mouth ulcers from forming again. 7. Gulkand for skin: It is a natural body coolant and prevents boils on the skin. 8. Gulkand for Pregnant Women: Consuming gulkand during pregnancy helps to calm the nerves and keeps the pregnant women healthy. Though it has so many health benefits, it all depends on the quality of the roses that you use. I have always preferred and used paneer variety roses for all my home made treatments. This jam is best made with it, as it has a very sweet and wonderful fragrance. Make this rose petal jam, only if you are 100% sure that the roses are not sprayed with pesticides. Usually rose petal jam is made by layering the petals with white sugar and keeping it under the hot sun till the sugar melts and forms into a jam. But I prefer making it with rock candy and good quality honey as I feel it has better health benefits and taste than the one made with plain white sugar. To make this homemade gulkand, first wash the roses well and separate the petals and dry them in shade till there is no moisture left. Pound the rock candy in a mortar and pestle till it is powdered finely, mix the powdered rock candy with honey. Take a glass jar and start layering the rose petals and honey mixture. Once it is completely layered, tie a thin muslin cloth and leave it out in the hot sun for a few days till the petals wilt and everything mixes together well, till it forms a jam. Make sure to stir the mixture every day. This rose petal jam is good to have as it is. It can also be whipped up into a milk shake with milk and a little bit of vanilla ice cream. People who are diabetic should avoid this rose petal jam.
1. Separate the rose petals from the flowers. Wash and dry them in shade till there is no moisture left.
2. Powder the rock candy to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
3. Mix honey and rock candy powder. Take a glass or a ceramic jar and start layering the petals and honey mixture, till everything is used up.
4. Tie a muslin cloth over the ceramic jar and keep it under hot sun for 2 to 3 days, till the petals wilt and sugar melts to form a jam consistency. Once it has cooled down, store it in glass jars.
- Make sure to use only ceramic/ glass jars, when making this jam.
- Keep it in the hot sun till everything is mixed together well and the color has changed to dark red color.
- Try using good quality honey and pesticide free roses for this recipe, to get all the health benefits.
- The rose petals can also be ground coarsely in a mixer without water before layering, it will make the process faster.