Turmeric water also called as haldi water in India has amazing benefits and we use it extensively in remedies and skin care. Since turmeric has antibacterial properties, turmeric water helps prevent and treat all kinds of skin infections. We use it in face packs, add it to bath water, make turmeric cloth with it and we also use it as an insecticide. When consumed internally in the morning, it helps treat a wide variety of ailments.
What Is Turmeric Water ?
Turmeric water is nothing but turmeric water infusion. We usually use two types of turmeric for making turmeric water infusion. One is kasthuri turmeric, it is a fragrant variety of turmeric that is mainly used for external application. If we use turmeric water for skin care or as an insecticide, we generally use kasturi turmeric powder for making turmeric water. The second variety is curcuma longa, it is the variety that we use for cooking, we use this variety for internal consumption.
How To Make Turmeric Water?
a. For External Application:
To make turmeric water for using it externally, either grate a fresh turmeric using a grater or take a tablespoon of turmeric powder in a bowl. Add in a cup of hot boiling water, let the mixture steep for an hour and then strain out the water. Your turmeric water is ready.
b. For Internal Consumption:
To make turmeric water for consuming, take 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder in a cup and grate in a small piece of ginger, pour in hot boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes and strain. Add in lemon juice and honey to taste. You can consume this turmeric water either lukewarm or cold.
Benefits Of Drinking Turmeric Water In Empty Stomach:
- Drinking turmeric water in empty stomach will greatly help treat digestive problems like ulcer and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Turmeric aids weight loss and you can read the study that supports the claim here. If you are on a weight loss diet, try to include turmeric water in your diet without fail.
- After a bout of illness, it is a good idea to drink it for a few days to improve immunity.
- Also if you are suffering from any kind of inflammation, drinking turmeric water in empty stomach will greatly help reduce the inflammation.
- If you suffering from any kind of metabolic diseases like high cholesterol, obesity and diabetes, try to include turmeric water in your diet regularly.
- If you are suffering from cold and cough, a cup of hot turmeric water in empty stomach will help. It will also help treat sinus related headache.
- Also if you are suffering from nervous problems or if you feel depressed, turmeric water will greatly help too.
Turmeric Water Benefits For Skin Care:
- Since it has antibacterial properties, it helps reduce inflammation when applied externally as a poultice. We can grind neem leaves along with turmeric water and apply as a poultice.
- Turmeric water helps repel insects, if you are a person who doesn’t like killing insects and pests, turmeric water is one of the best options as it drives them away without harming them.
- When added to face packs, it helps treat acne very effectively. It has a soothing effect on the skin and helps reduce pain and inflammation very fast.
- When used as a wound wash, it helps heal it very fast. We also use cotton cloth dipped in turmeric water as a poultice to treat Madras eye.
5 Top Ways To Use Turmeric Water For External Application:
1. Wound Wash
Take two cups of water in a bowl. Add in a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a handful of neem leaves and boil till the colour of the water changes. Strain, cool and use it is a wound wash. This helps heal the wounds and scrapes very fast.
2. As an Insecticide
We usually make small babies sleep in thottal which is nothing but a white cloth hung from the ceiling. We place turmeric water beneath the thottal to get rid of insects and ants. For that we take turmeric water in a wide plate and add a little bit of slaked lime to it. The colour of the water will change to bright red, this mixture will repel insects well.
3. Eye Poultice
To make eye poultice, take a pure white cotton cloth and sterilize it by boiling it in a cup of water for a few minutes and squeeze out the water completely. Dip the wet cloth in turmeric water again (picture above) and place it over the eyes, this helps reduce eye inflammation very fast.
4. Turmeric Bath Water
To make turmeric bath water, collect a bucket full of hot water. Add in half a cup of turmeric water, a handful of neem leaves and one orange peel. Let the mixture come to a lukewarm temperature. Remove the neem leaves and orange peel and have bath with this mixture, it will help treat skin infections very well.
5. Turmeric Face Pack
For the face pack, take a tablespoon of besan in a bowl. Add in half tablespoon of liquorice powder to it. Finally add in enough of the turmeric water to mix into a spreadable paste. To use, wash your face and apply the paste all over the face and neck, wait for it to almost dry and then wash it off. This pack treats acne very very effectively.