Tulsi occupies an important place in ayurvedic medicine and in India, we worship tulsi plant. Tulsi plant requires very little maintenance and you will find tulsi plant every where in India. Tulsi has amazing health benefits and I always have tulsi plant at home. Drinking tulsi tea is one of the best ways to consume this amazing herb. Tulsi tea offers many health benefits: 1. For Stress: Tulsi tea is filled with antioxidants that helps our body combat stress effectively. Regular consumption of holy basil tea will reduce the effect of stress on our body like emotional stress, mental problems, stress related head aches, etc. 2. For skin diseases: If there is one herb that is very effective for all skin related diseases, it is holy basil. It is so effective that we use it extensively for all skin related home remedies. If you are a person who is prone to skin diseases, then make it a habit of regularly drinking tulsi tea. 3. For Sore Throat: Tulsi is an effective home remedy for sore throat and throat pain. If you like the flavor of ginger, add it along with this tea to make it an even more effective remedy for sore throat. 4. For Immunity: Drinking tulsi tea increases your immunity, especially after a prolonged illness. Try to get fresh tulsi leaves, dry, store and use it year round to increase your immunity. You will also find yourself immune from cold and cough. 5. For Digestion: In my personal experience, I have seen the power of tulsi in treating digestion related problems. If you suffer from an upset stomach, try making this along with slightly pounded whole pepper corns. I prefer making this tea from fresh leaves but you can also make it from dried leaves. Making this tea is very simple. Since I don’t like to boil the leaves, I always steep the leaves in boiling water. I like it unsweetened but you can sweeten with honey, if you prefer. To make your own dried tulsi leaves for making the tea, wash the tulsi leaves, spread them on a plate, sun dry till crisp and store it in an air tight box. This tea can be consumed even daily and can be given to children too.
1. Take fresh tulsi leaves and wash them well to remove all the dirt.
2. Boil water in a pan. Once it comes to a boil, add the fresh tulsi leaves and switch off. Close with a lid and let it steep for a few minutes, strain and sweeten if desired.
3. To make them from dried leaves, dry the leaves in hot sun, spread on a plate.
4. Add the required amount of dried tea leaves in a tea pot and pour over boiling water. Close with the lid, let it steep for 10 minutes and strain.
5. The tea made with fresh leaves is light green in color with a mild smell of fresh tulsi leaves.
- I prefer the tea made from fresh leaves. It has got a beautiful fresh smell and taste to it.
- Try to include this tea during rainy season to keep yourself free from cold and flu.
- Dry the leaves till crisp before storing it in air tight boxes,else it will spoil quickly.
- If you are taking any medications on a regular basis, consult with your health care professional before drinking it daily.