I tried this homemade lip balm last week and I couldn’t wait to share it with everyone because I was so pleased with it. I have used almond oil for making this lip balm as it moisturizes well. Almond oil also prevents chapping of the lips and keeps it soft and smooth. If you could get fancy oils like safflower oil in your place, please use that. I have used beeswax that come in bars. Beeswax is the natural wax produced in the beehive of honey bees. Beeswax that come in pellets will be even more easy, as we don’t have to grate it. Because we are using it on our lips, be careful about the quality of the beeswax. The color of the beeswax depends on the type of flowers gathered by the bees. So don’t worry about the color of the beeswax that you get. My balm set nicely without any refrigeration. If you are precise with the measurements, this lip balm will come out perfectly. This balm keeps well even without refrigeration. During hot summer months, it might melt a little, but it doesn’t affect the quality of this homemade lip balm. Use pure vanilla for this balm. I haven’t used any color, as I loved the natural yellow shade of beeswax.
1. Grate the beeswax using a grater. Measure out the almond oil in a measuring cup and get all the things ready.
2. Melt the beeswax and almond oil in a double boiler, over slow flame till the beeswax melts completely. The bottom of the vessel in which the oil and wax are placed should not touch the water in the bottom vessel. Keep stirring often, till the bees wax melts completely.
3. Once melted, remove from the fire immediately and let it cool a bit. Now add the vanilla and honey and mix together well, till the honey dissolves.
4. Pour it into glass jars and let it set. Depending on the temperature it will set some where between 2 to 3hrs. Your home made lip balm is ready! This amount of oil makes about 3 small jars of lip balm.
- Use only a double boiler to melt the oil and wax.
- Melt it on a slow flame.
- Use only pure vanilla, else you can substitute it with any essential oil of your choice.
- When the lip balm get runny, during hot summer months place it in the refrigerator for some time.