1. Rose Petals For Skin Care:
Sandalwood and rosewater paste is a very effective home remedy for prickly heat. During hot summer months, we get small itchy heat rashes commonly called prickly heat. It is especially common in toddlers and small babies. When the babies scratch the area where it itches, it worsens the condition even more.
Mild form of heat rashes can be treated wonderfully at home with this prickly heat treatment. We treat it with rose petals and sandalwood paste. The rose petals are ground together with rosewater. Then the sandalwood paste is obtained by rubbing a piece of sandalwood bark on the sandalwood stone, with rosewater till we get a nice thick paste.
Both of these pastes are mixed and applied on the affected area. This sandalwood and rosewater paste is so soothing, that it will immediately reduce the itching and cure prickly heat very quickly. Fresh sandalwood paste can be substituted with good quality sandalwood powder too. I have given step by step instructions for making it below.
2. Rose petals for Pink Lips:
3. Rose Petal Face & Bath Powder For Fair Skin:
This rose petal bath powder is very fragrant and should be made in peak summer. This bath powder has green gram dal, wild turmeric, white turmeric/ poolan kilangu and dried rose petals. Rose petals reduces wrinkles, brightens the skin tone and prevents the skin from sun damage.
Wild turmeric is called “kasturi manjal” in Tamil and it is very fragrant than normal turmeric. We use kasturi manjal for most of our skin preparations, as it reduces blemishes and pimples. Green gram dal is a very good natural body cleaner and it keeps our body cool.
White turmeric (Zedoary) is called ” Poolan kilangu” in Tamil. It helps in healing any damage to the skin and prevents infections. To make this powder, first collect pesticide free roses, remove the petals and sun dry them till completely dry.
Take the measured out green gram dal, white turmeric/ poolan kilangu, wild turmeric in a wide plate and sun dry it for a day. We usually use the dried varieties of both the turmerics. Add the dried rose petals to the dried mixture and powder them finely in a mixer.
Sieve the mixture and store it. To use, take the required amount of powder and mix it with water to make a paste. Scoop the mixture and rub it all over the body like soap and wash it off. You will find great difference in your skin texture if you use this bath powder regularly.
4. Rose Petals For Hair:
5. Rose Petals For Weight Loss:
Rose Water & Sandalwood Paste For Skin Care:
1. Separate the petal from the roses and wash them well and drain the water completely. Grind the petals to a smooth paste in a blender or using a mortar and pestle.
2. Wash the sandal wood stone. Add little rosewater to the stone and rub a piece of sandalwood bark on the stone in a circular motion till you get enough sandal wood paste.
3. Mix both the paste together well and apply on the affected area.
- Try to use fresh rose petals.
- Make sure to use home made rosewater, else use boiled water.
- If you are treating small babies, make sure to wash the blender well to get rid of any spiciness in it.
- Because I have ground it in a mortar and pestle, the paste is not too smooth. If you grind the petals in the blender you get a very smooth paste.
Forgive my ignorance… what is and where can I obtain sandalwood stone? Also, where do you get quality sandalwood? Thank you!
Hi Rebecca, traditionally sandalwood stones are passed from one generation to next, I got mine from my mother in law but I beleive you can order one online easily. As for sandalwood stick, I got mine from government khadi shop near my place…