the shoes with a tissue and then dry it out in a sunny
area in your home. If it is a rainy season, where you don’t get sunlight to dry the shoes, you can use a heater or a hair dryer to dry the shoes. You can also use perfumed tissues, when wiping the inside of the shoes. Once the inside of the shoes are dry, then you can use this homemade shoe freshener to freshen up smelly shoes. This shoe freshener has got baking soda mixed with tea tree essential oil. Baking soda absorbs the bad odor from the shoes and the tea tree essential oil is effective in killing the bacteria that is usually present and is the reason for smelly shoes. To make the shoe freshener, take a muslin cloth and add baking soda and few drops of tea tree essential oil and mix well. Tie it into a bundle and push it into the smelly shoes and leave it over night. Make sure that the shoes are dry before doing this. Usually this takes care of the problem. If you were wearing smelly shoes, it might be a good idea to immerse the feet in vinegar foot soak to prevent infections in the feet. You can also store the shoes for a long time with this shoe freshener tucked in, to prevent smelly shoes.
1. Take baking soda and essential oil in a bowl and mix together well.
2. Take the mixture in a muslin cloth and tie the ends together to make it into a bundle.
3. Insert the bundle into the shoes well, after thoroughly wiping off the dampness inside the shoes. You can also insert tea bags, but I like baking soda better.
- Even citrus essential oils like orange, lemon, etc work well for smelly shoes.
- Make sure to use cotton cloth bundles.