It is always nice to substitute our addictions with some thing that tastes equally good and that is healthy for us. This homemade coffee powder is one such healthy substitute for regular coffee. It is made with all things that keeps the digestion in peak health. This herbal coffee powder can be made and stored for up to a month.
This coffee powder contains coriander seeds, dry ginger, pepper corns and cardamom seeds. All these ingredients are very effective in treating stomach disorders. This coffee is usually sweetened with palm jaggery, as jaggery contains a lot of iron. You can also sweeten it with honey, if you prefer.
To make this coffee powder, sun dry the ingredients separately in hot sun for 2 to 3 days, till it is completely dry. Powder them in a blender to a coarse powder. To make the coffee, boil water in a pan along with palm jaggery. Once the palm jaggery has dissolved, add the herbal coffee powder and let it boil for few seconds before switching off. Don’t add milk to the coffee while boiling, it will split. You can add the milk after straining the mixture.
This coffee is also a good home remedy for indigestion and lack of appetite. If you are giving it to children, you can reduce the amount of peppercorns in the mixture. After grinding the coffee powder, store it in an airtight box. I always prefer to make small batches, as they retain their flavor well. If you want to make it in large quantities, double the ingredients given in the recipe.
6 Simple Steps to Make Healthy Coffee
1. Sun dry the coriander seeds spread on a plate, till it is completely dry.
2. Sun dry the dry ginger, pepper corns and cardamom pods too.
3. Powder them to a coarse powder in a mixer and store it in airtight jars.
4. This is palm jaggery. Break the jaggery and take the required amount.
5. To make the coffee, boil water in a pan along with the jaggery. Once it boils, add the coffee powder.
6. Let it boil for few seconds, switch off and then strain.
- If you boil the coffee for along time after adding the coffee powder, the coffee will be slightly bitter.
- If you don’t get palm jaggery, you can substitute with regular jaggery.
- The coffee powder is usually ground coarsely.
- We usually don’t add milk to the recipe.
- If you are using it as a home remedy, don’t add milk.