Our family friends have lot of mangosteen trees in their farm and they sent us a huge basket of mangosteen fruits last week, we had a delightful week eating mangosteen daily! After enjoying the fruit for a few days, I wanted to know all about it. I experimented with making a tea out of the rind and also made a healing juice from the fruit. I had a fun time collecting all the information about mangosteen and I was really surprised at the vast health benefits and how many cultures have been using mangosteen for years to treat various diseases. Mangosteen is called the queen of fruits and it’s botanical name is Garcinia Mangostana. Mangosteen is rich in antioxidants, tannins and especially xanthones (out of the 200 varieties of xanthones mangosteen has got 40!). It is the xanthones that is present in it which gives mangosteen it’s amazing qualities. But interestingly many of the nutrients are found in the rind, so try using it in the form of tea. Here are some of the important medicinal uses of mangosteen: 1. Mangosteen’s Anti Inflammatory Properties: One of the main benefits of mangosteen is it’s anti inflammatory properties. It greatly reduces any kind of inflammation, people who are suffering from arthritic pain can try mangosteen tea regularly 2. Mangosteen’s Anticancer Properties: What interested me most about mangosteen is that even many doctors have confirmed about it’s anticancer abilities. It is one of the best anticancer natural foods that we should consume often. 3. Mangosteen’s Antibacterial & Antiviral Properties: The xanthones in mangosteen has been proven to exhibit anti bacterial & antiviral properties through scientific research 4. Mangosteen’s Anti Aging Properties: Since mangosteen is high in antioxidants, it prevents premature aging of the skin and is very good for our skin. 5. Mangosteen Anti Allergic Properties: Mangosteen extract has been proven through research to contain anti allergic properties. Apart from eating the fruit as it is, try making mangosteen tea and mangosteen juice. To make the mangosteen tea, after eating the fruit, discard the seed and cut the thick rind into small pieces, sun dry well and store. To make the tea, boil a cup of water along with dried mangosteen skin, you will have a beautiful red colored tea that is full of antioxidants and natural goodness. I also tried mangosteen juice, I have given the step by step instructions below. Side effects Of Mangosteen: Usually mangosteen is well tolerated by everyone and unless you are allergic to fruits, you can consume mangosteen often.
1. Take the fresh fruits, cut in half by going round only on the outer skin with a sharp knife. Twist the fruit to separate and remove only the white fleshy inner part. Use the rind to make the tea.
2. Take a fresh Aloe Vera leaf, remove the slimy layer and cut the thorns on both sides. Separate the leaf to remove the flesh.
3. Grind both the Aloe Vera gel and mangosteen fruit to a fine mixture in a mixer along with little boiled water. Sweeten with honey.
4. Drink this healing juice immediately, this juice is very healing and soothes even the most acidic stomach.
- Both mangosteen juice & mangosteen tea are very good for health, so try alternating both in your diet.
- Mangosteen tea is usually very safe but if you are taking any medications on regular basis, please mention it to your physician especially if you want take it on a daily basis.
- Ready made mangosteen tea bags are available too.
- Mangosteen juice is very low in calories and can be included in weight loss diet.
- Mangosteen tea is also a very good home remedy for diarrhea