This homemade salt and mint tooth powder recipe is excellent in preventing tooth decay and helps fight mouth odor very effectively. This is a natural home remedy that was prescribed for anyone who suffered from recurrent dental problems. Mint has natural antibacterial properties and used as a tooth powder like this without any chemical additives, it is very effective. I am sure, very few of us dislike the fresh smell of mint, I for one love anything made with mint, except mint chocolates.
Many tooth pastes on the markets have extracts of mint and even most of the breath fresheners have mint flavor, as it helps fight the build up of plaque in the mouth. It has always been recommended to chew on fresh mint leaves for dental hygiene, but it is not practical to get fresh mint leaves everyday. On the other hand, using mint leaves in dried form gives us the same benefits and it can be stored well for weeks. This tooth powder also has salt.
Salt has been used as a mouth rinse to treat mouth ulcers for ages and many dentists recommend salt water mouth rinse to reduce the pain and fight inflammation. To make this homemade tooth powder, first collect fresh mint that are not sprayed with pesticides. Spread it on a plate and sun dry it still crisp. Take the common crystal salt that we use for cooking and powder it finely in a mortar and pestle.
Once it is pounded well, add the dried mint leaves and pound every thing together till it becomes a fine powder. This powder can be stored for weeks in a glass bottle. To use, take the required amount of powder in a small cup. Wet your tooth brush in water and dip it in the powder and brush your mouth and rinse off.
This powder whitens the teeth naturally and freshens your breath. Encourage kids to use this homemade tooth powder at least weekly twice to prevent tooth decay. This is especially important, if they have a sweet tooth. If you have any dental problems, use this powder daily to get good relief, else use it weekly twice to remain free of any of dental problems.
Homemade Salt & Mint Tooth Powder Recipe
1. Take fresh mint leaves that are not sprayed with pesticides and sun dry them spread on a plate.
2. It should be sun dried till crisp like this.
3. Powder the crystal salt in a mortar and pestle till it becomes a fine powder.
4. Add the dried mint leaves and powder every thing together well.
5. Store it in small bottles and make sure that it is kept moisture free.
- This tooth powder should be very fine.
- You can increase or decrease the mint and salt as per your preference.
- The mint leaves should sun dried till crisp, else the tooth powder will spoil easily.
- Don’t use table salt, use only crystal salt for making this tooth powder.