I have always felt amazingly calm whenever I light an aromatic candle or burn a soothing incense at home. I always have a stock of incense sticks at home. But lately I am into aromatic candles, as they really help us to relax after a long stressful day. But the aromatic candles we get from the shops are quite expensive. Though I indulge once in a while and buy them, I was thinking of making aromatic candles myself.
When I was deciding on the fragrance for my homemade candle, I settled on citrus because citrus essential oils really uplifts our mood. I got this idea of making candles with oranges, when I saw a picture of candle made with fresh lemons in one of the magazines I was reading. I had paraffin wax with me already and the only thing that took some searching was the wick for the candles and I had to buy them in bulk from a local supplier.
Once you get the ingredients, you can make this homemade candle very quickly. First cut the fresh oranges in half, I squeezed the juice out carefully, but make sure not to scar or cut the orange when you are squeezing the juice else the hot wax will leak out. Take a cello tape and paste it over the middle of the orange.
Now insert the wick through the tape, correctly in the middle. Once you have prepared the orange, melt the paraffin wax over a double boiler. Using a double boiler is very important, it prevents the wax from getting burnt. Once the wax is melted, add your favorite citrus essential oil, I also added the zest from the other half of the lemon.
Pour it into prepared orange immediately. If you wait for too long the wax will set and you will have to melt it again. Wait for the wax to completely set before carefully cutting off the cello tape from the orange using sharp scissors. I was very happy when I lit the candle because the amazing smell of fresh oranges filled the whole house, making me feel proud of my little creation.
How to Make Orange Candle
1. Take a fresh orange and cut in half. Squeeze out the juice carefully and scoop out the pith using a knife. Make sure not to cut the orange skin. Tape a cello tape across the cut orange.
2. Insert the candlewick in the center of the cello tape. I just a made a small hole in the cello tape with a pin and inserted my wick, as my wick was not sturdy enough to insert a hole.
3. Melt the paraffin wax over a double boiler, wait for it to completely melt.
4. Add the essential oil, grated zest of orange and mix well and pour it carefully into the prepared orange.
5. Wait for the wax to completely set. once the wax has set, carefully cut the cello tape with scissors and remove it. Light your candles and enjoy the uplifting citrus smell.
- This is a wonderful project to do with kids. But since we are dealing with hot wax, don’t leave them unattended even for a minute.
- Select an orange that has an even base, else it will be shaking all the time spilling wax.
- Paraffin wax has to be melted only in the double boiler.
- Make sure that the wick is placed exactly in the middle.
- The amount of paraffin wax depends on the size of the orange.
- Try this homemade candle with either lemon or orange essential oils.