Mustard oil is used extensively for hair massage in North India to promote healthy hair growth. In spite of its pungent smell there is a reason people still use it for hair massage, it helps treat many scalp problems including dandruff very effectively.
What is Mustard Oil?
Mustard oil is a strong pungent oil extracted from mustard seeds. Though it is widely consumed in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal, mustard oil is banned in many parts of the world due to its high erucic acid. Some countries also have imposed upper limit of erucic acid to be consumed and in many countries, it is just allowed as a hair oil. Here in India, mustard oil is used for hair care mainly in the northern states.
Mustard Oil Hair Benefits:
- It is rich in omega 3, vitamin E and omega 6 fatty acids which helps nourish our hair roots especially if we massage our hair with it regularly. If you have very weak hair roots try massaging your hair with mustard oil regularly.
- The high amount of fatty acids present in mustard oil acts as a natural conditioner. If your hair is dry and damaged, you can use it as a hot oil treatment.
- Mustard oil has antimicrobial properties making it one of the best oils for treating scalp problems including dandruff. To treat dandruff, mix 1/4 cup of mustard oil with 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil and massage it into the scalp. Wait for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash and condition your hair as usual.
- Mustard oil is very warming and when we massage our hair with it, it improves blood circulation and improved blood circulation greatly helps reduce hair loss.
3 Top Ways To Use Mustard Oil For Hair Growth
1. Along With Henna:
The best way to use mustard oil for hair growth is by infusing it with henna leaves. For that collect 1/4 cup of fresh henna leaves. Wash and spread them on a clean cloth to absorb all the excess moisture. Now grind the henna leaves in a mixer without adding any water. Mix a cup of mustard oil and the ground henna leaf paste and heat in medium low flame till the sizzling sound stops, strain and use it as a hair oil regularly. Regular use of this henna infused mustard oil will help promote hair growth.
2. Mustard Oil & Fenugreek Seed Hair Pack
Take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and sun dry it till crisp. While it is still crisp from sun drying, take it in a dry mixer and powder it finely. Now take the ground fenugreek seed powder in a bowl. Add in curd to mix it into a thick paste along with 2 teaspoons of cold pressed mustard oil. Apply this as a hair pack all over the scalp and hair. Wait for 15 minutes and then wash and condition your hair as usual. This hair pack will treat dandruff very very effectively.
3. As A Hot Oil Treatment
For the hot oil treatment, take 1/4 cup of cold pressed mustard oil in a bowl. Warm it lightly over a double boiler. Once warmed through, add in 3 to 4 drops of tea tree essential oil and the contents of one vitamin e capsule and mix well. Massage this mixture all over the scalp and hair. Cover with a thick cotton towel dipped in hot water. Wait for the towel to lose the heat completely and then wash and condition your hair as usual. This treatment will make your hair soft and supple.