During the time, the refrigerator didn’t make it’s way into our homes, whenever there was left over cooked rice, boiled water was poured in the left over rice, and left overnight. The next day morning, it was mixed with buttermilk and salt. This used to be the traditional break fast, with raw small onions as an accompaniment.
We call it “Palaya sadham/ Neeragaram” in Tamil. Neeragaram has amazing health benefits. Having palaya sadham for few days on an empty stomach cures stomach burns. Palaya sadham is also rich in vitamin b12. It is also an amazing body coolant and if you are a person who is out in the hot sun a lot, try drinking this neeragaram before going out, your body will not develop heat boils nor will it get dehydrated very soon.
We make palaya sadham often, though not regularly like in my grandparents times. But on a hot summer morning, having “Palaya sadham” is literally heaven. We make palaya sadham in different ways, the one I have posted is easy and quick. To make palaya sadham, the previous night add little left over rice in a cup. Pour boiled water and few drops of castor oil and close it with a lid and leave it overnight.
The next day morning, add little buttermilk and salt and mix every thing together well and have it in an empty stomach. You can bite into the small onions for spiciness. Continue having this for some time and you will feel much better. You can add yogurt instead of buttermilk, it’s even more tasty. Both small onions and castor oil cools the body. For even healthier version, try making this palaya sadham with brown rice.
How To Make Neeragaram / Palaya Satham:
1. Take the left over rice in a glass tumbler.
2. Add boiled, cooled water. Add few drops of castor oil and close it with a lid.
3. Next day morning, add buttermilk and salt. Mix it well and your simple, healthy breakfast is ready!
- Try using fresh buttermilk along with this palaya sadham.
- For even healthier version, make it with brown rice.
- Continue having this palaya sadham first thing in the morning, till you get good relief from stomach burn.
- If done with brown rice, it will give good relief from constipation too.